A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 14th May 2016, 10:21 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. With the old one, I disconnected the ARB links and could turn twist the bar in the bushes with no effort and slide it back and forth longitudanally if I twisted it at the same time. While doing this it would creak and I could feel the 'judder' through the bar like when you drag a damp finger on glass.
I remember now, I used some of that white waterproof grease designed for car door hinges, not silicone.
It became quiet for a few months and then started again and then started knocking (as Architex's) when traversing ridges such as speed ramps or drop kerbs at a slight angle. I didn't realise it was the ARB causing this knock until I had already replaced all 8 control arms and then taking it to Nottingham Audi who on the day of the appointment had concierges with earpeices in the carpark who greeted me and already knew who I was and called through on their mic' for a technician to come in the car park to ask for a demo which I thought was very professional. He knew what it was almost straightaway.

Last edited by snapdragon; 14th May 2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 26th May 2016, 07:53 PM

Default Audi A8 leather seat cleaning

Hi,

Thanks for the tips on the ARB...i'll keep a look out

Now that the car's paint and suspension are all in order, i've been meaning to give the leather a good detail. With that in mind, i took the rear bench out and went to town with cleaner and leather conditioner on all seats....it makes such a difference!

I even found 2 pens, 35p and 20 euro cents

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 28th May 2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 26th May 2016, 07:58 PM

Have you replaced that front seat, it looks like new?

Old 27th May 2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Have you replaced that front seat, it looks like new?
Hi Delboy - they've just had a good clean

Over time, leather seats get a real 'shine' to them as a tiny film of oils from clothes and skin forms over them. I like my leather non-shiney like it was when it cam out of the factory and so giving it a really good clean and conditioning it every once in a while should keep them looking great. There is a really nice video by AMMO NYC that goes into some nice methods on how to clean leather seats depending on how much gear you've got (microfibre only to machine polishing clean and steam cleaning):

https://youtu.be/4Bd_IqK5ydU

The driver's and front passenger's seats have wear marks on the door-side bolsters from getting in an out over the years. It was there when i got it and have been quoted about £150 to get it refurbished. It's on the to-do list but at the moment it's 'ok' enough not to keep me up at night.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Last edited by Oli18; 28th May 2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 27th May 2016, 01:05 PM

There is no real need to "condition" modern leather as it is coated with a sprayed on dye that forms a "skin" over the top. All conditioner will do is add to the "shine and grime". Just a gentle clean is enough. Had this been a 1954 Alvis then that's another story....
Old 27th May 2016, 05:44 PM

I do love a good detailing post. Well done that man!

2008 Audi S8
Old 28th May 2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsax View Post
hi can i please ask about the Delta Mics hub centric wheel spacers from earlier on in this thread.
can you please advise me exactly the size and where you bought these from. do you get the bolts with it?
many thanks
raj

ps any negative aspect to these items?
They are great and would highly recommend them. I have not experienced any issues so far.

I chose the Type10 2x20mm:

http://www.prosportperformance.co.uk/audispacers.htm

The bolts all come with it!

I also did the same on my old silver D2 (see link in my signature) using the H&R setup...they are slightly lighter in weight but a bit pricier. The D2 looks really nice with the 2x20mm and d3 FE wheels IMO...the D3 could take another 5mm I reckon on both sides but at the detriment of faster suspension wear potentially.

Oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
Before and afters:

Quote:
Before and after shots below....

Oli

Last edited by Oli18; 28th May 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 28th May 2016, 11:49 PM

many thanks for the pics and info Oli..
will call Prosport on Tuesday to get price and order.
cheers raj
Old 17th October 2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks Neil and hope someone else benefits from it!

I've recently found myself seriously considering installing a dashcam primarily for safety purposes. I had a few requirements:

- must be discreet
- must be good quality during the day and night time at 1080p
- must be easy to remove
- must have an adjustable lens
- must have a screen so you can align the lens
- must be capacitor-based rather than a lithium ion battery

After hours of review on YouTube, i settled for the Novatek B40 A118C. There is a great article here with a full comparison on a range of cameras which is useful for anyone else looking for a dash-cam.

As opposed to plugging it into the cigarette lighter, i wanted to achieve the following:

- all cables to be consealed
- for the camera (and phone charging cable) to be switchable so that the power turns on the moment you turn the key and turns off the moment the key comes out the ignition

I ended up buying a 12v to 5v converter with 2 female USB sockets and added this to a little thing called an 'add-a-fuse' which allows you to neatly add a fuse and easily plug it into your fuse box.

I chose the bottom blue 15A fuse (for fridge) in the passenger fuse box (Left in the UK) as it was 1 of only 2 that were switched (the other was a 5A for the engine ECU which i didn't want to use and the right fuse box by the driver didn't appear to have any that switched off when the ignition was off).

Here you can see the 12V to 5V converter cables being earthed (bottom bolt in the picture below and powered up using the add-a-fuse:

This is where i placed the camera:

This is what it looks like installed:

And here is a little video of the camera in use...i have since shortened the video lengths from 5 mins to 3 mins and turned off 'audio-record' as there is not much point.

https://youtu.be/9yE8P-TymJk

Oli
Hello, I've been looking into the 12 to 5V converter you used for the Dascham install and I've noticed that some people are having problems with interference on their radios. Is this a problem you've been having on your car?
Thanks, Sam

2008 A8 4.2 Tdi Sport
Old 19th October 2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhurs002 View Post
Hello, I've been looking into the 12 to 5V converter you used for the Dascham install and I've noticed that some people are having problems with interference on their radios. Is this a problem you've been having on your car?
Thanks, Sam
Hi Sam - I haven't had an issue so far luckily.

Thanks,

Oli

Tags
4.2, audi, tdi