A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 17th September 2011, 03:48 AM

Default Dealer broke my TPMS

reposted from ice forum.....

Hello all,

Finally got my profile unlocked so that I can post here!

I recently bought a 2005 A8L W12, from the main dealers here in Dubai. The car has mainly been used as a VIP chauffeur driven limo and has only 57000kms on it. It has also been upgraded several times to keep it "current" with such things as....new front grille, LED rear lights, new side mirrors, etc.

The car was sold to me "as is", although I did manage to get them to do an oil service, regas the aircon and balance the tyres (flat-spotted from sitting in the dealers - think I'll have to change them anyway). This led to the first problem - when I got the car back, the (previously working) TPMS kept giving a system error. I have checked with vcds and it doesn't appear to see the sensors. Have reset/initialised several times but warning always comes back after 10 minutes. Took it back to dealers, who claimed to fix it but they just re-initialised the tyres and cleared the fault code, so 10 mins later, it was back. Going back after the weekend to see if they can get it right this time!

Second problem is the fingerprint system not working. vcds says it's fine but when I setup a driver, it gets to the point of going to fingerprint check and gives a system error. Any ideas?

Lastly, I've bought a mobridge bluetooth/ipod unit (car came with motorola phone in armrest / no bluetooth) and plan to install when it's back from the stealers. I'm having 2 problems - 1 finding info as to WHERE to install the module. Craigyb previously responded on another forum and suggested simply replacing the 'phone module with the mobridge, which seedem ideal. Problem is, all the mobridge paperwork suggests that it HAS to be installed prior to the CD changer in the loop. Not having a map of the system, I'm not sure if that means I have to reroute the CD cable elsewhere or what. 2 is that I can't find any definitive information as to coding requirements. I'm a vcds virgin and don't want to f*&k it up! Mobridge claims no coding required for audi but what about the existing 'phone? Does it need to be removed (in software) first? If so, how?

Oh, one other thing, I managed to enable the hidden menu in the MMI (version 5150) but can't get into the "vehicle" menu. Any idea how to unlock it? Google/forum search has failed me on this one. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any replies - great forum.
Old 18th September 2011, 12:02 PM

Well, went to see the stealer yesterday, wasted an hour or so sitting around, only for them to claim that the sensors' batteries had died! My remonstrations regarding the extremely fortuitous (for them) situation that all 4 sensors chose the exact moment that the car was with them for balancing / a/c work to fail were completely ignored. It will now be very interesting when it comes time to change the tyres to see whether said sensors are still present or whether they removed them to simplify the wheel balancing (which was apparently very tricky).

NOT Happy!
Old 18th September 2011, 12:28 PM

I also have the same problem. Went to get one tyre changed last week and my tpms packed up on my way home. It worked at first then said check pressure then just packed up. Now it comes up as a fault every time i start the engine.

Also my finger print does exactly the same as yours. I will let you know if i cure the problems
Old 18th September 2011, 09:01 PM

When I had my two fronts replaced the other day I was told I had to have each wheel replaced on the same corner they came of, otherwise the TPMS wouldn't work. I said I thought I could re-initialise them, but the fitter said, they had to go back onto the same hub they came off.
Darren have you had yours moved about?
Stuarta, could yours have been changed around?
Old 19th September 2011, 12:08 AM

Code:
Interesting theory - will try changing them around and see if I can find the correct "combination", thanks. I'm pretty sure the batteries are still good. Wouldn't it severely compromise the ability to rotate the tyres to even out wear, though? Essential on AWD cars.

Last edited by Stuarta; 19th September 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 19th September 2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuarta View Post
Code:
Interesting theory - will try changing them around and see if I can find the correct "combination", thanks. I'm pretty sure the batteries are still good. Wouldn't it severely compromise the ability to rotate the tyres to even out wear, though? Essential on AWD cars.
That's why I was trying to get my fronts & backs swapped. I want to get through the backs asap because, not only are they part worn, but also Bridgstones and I've now returned to the factory Yokahomas with the new ones.
Not good. Let me know if you discover I'm wrong, so I can get them switched over.
Let me know if its correct too, because if so, this is something that is bound to keep coming up as more of us move to 8's with TPS
Old 19th September 2011, 08:22 PM

Dont know why but mine have been working fine yesterday and today. maybe battery fault !

The question is can the batteries in them be changed for new ones ? I plan to have my wheels refurbished and new tires all round after i take off my last bit of tread at Castle Combe. So this would be a good time to renew batteries.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenjoe90 View Post
Dont know why but mine have been working fine yesterday and today. maybe battery fault !

The question is can the batteries in them be changed for new ones ? I plan to have my wheels refurbished and new tires all round after i take off my last bit of tread at Castle Combe. So this would be a good time to renew batteries.
As far as i understand, there are a few different types. Some of the early types used the ABS and they basically compare the rotation rates to work out if a tyre is deflating, it won’t tell which one is loosing pressure. The other type actually monitors the pressure and are mounted on the rim inside the tyre or incorporated in the valve stem, either way tyre off to replace battery and or monitor if the battery can’t be replaced. Some manufacturers you have to replace the whole sensor. There is also a type that uses a valve cap that just screws onto the stem but these might get nicked i suppose. I’m out of touch with the whole tyre wheel game now so things may well have moved along quite a bit now.
Old 20th September 2011, 05:58 PM

Do they all have temperature and pressure like this one ?

this photo was taken at the end of the day and the car had not moved at all so why different temperatures ?
is there a fault ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200920110581.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2330  
Old 20th September 2011, 06:34 PM

maybe the OSF tyre is "warmer" because the tyre pressure is so much higher in that one?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs