A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 22nd August 2014, 08:28 PM

Default 3.0 TDI (2006) remap

Hello there. New very pleased owner here.

My question: what are the experiences of those who have had a remap of a 3.0 TDI?

Is there a company / companies that comes recommended by this forum?

David.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:53 PM

Shark Performance come extremely highly recommended.. I have a map on my 4.2 Tdi and it's great.

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd August 2014, 10:50 PM

Will check them out. Many thanks.
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:56 AM

I went with Viezu and I'm very pleased as well.
To know which one is best you would have to compare them on the same car, if they are different from each other at all.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 23rd August 2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.f. View Post
Hello there. New very pleased owner here.

My question: what are the experiences of those who have had a remap of a 3.0 TDI?

Is there a company / companies that comes recommended by this forum?

David.
I have a 2009 A8 3.0 tdi and my local company is Celtic tuning, they did my other car, a VW CC 2.0 TDi with the DSG gearbox and they tool that from 177 to 237 bhp for £300 I had it done for three years and the car performed exceptionally well, never let me down and I chased the odd performance car or two as the under dog and came out smiling. I have called them once again, as I know their work and product and suggested that they quote me on a D3 3.0 TDi diesel and they've quoted me just £250 with the figures being 292 bhp and 410 lbs of torque! I have no reason to doubt these figures as they over achieved on my other car.

There are other people out there local to me and one guy even quoted me £185 for 284 bhp, but as an unknown I'd rather pay more and go with Celtic. There was also the option of installing those inbuilt looms with the 9 switching points, you know to adjust between performance and economy, but in my opinion these are cheap quick and simple options but never replace the option for a proper full rev range tuned set up.

I don't know whether there is a thread of rolling road results? I know me and the Evo lads used to do tuning days where we would back to back power out on a dyno and see who has got the best results. Perhaps that would be great for us to do if there isn't already a thread in existence.

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 23rd August 2014, 05:54 PM

A trusted friend of mine recommended Celtic to me independently, so this is good to hear.

Has anyone experience with Angel Tuning?

It seems there are so many out there.
Old 27th August 2014, 07:08 AM

Hello mate
I would stick to one of them to be honest.
http://www.viezu.com/

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/

Remap is a fairly serious thing and I've heard few opinions about Angel Tuning and some are really bad and even if there is only 5% chance it will go wrong because of incompetence of the guy, I wouldn't want to be in that 5%.

Most importantly, do not go with the the cheapest, old saying you get what you pay for applies here very well, good remaps are just not cheap, and you doing it once.

Not sure how Angel Tuning is operating, but Shark and Viezu do write the remaps on the spot for you, not uploading just a universal remap.

Do it once, do it properly

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 28th August 2014, 11:55 PM

I know to avoid these like the plague but I can't help but wonder for £70 and a child capable install why would you not want the eBay "Chiptuning" self tune loom, which clearly ramps up something somewhere and then obviously the fuel matches it and hence the extra claimed power, but my question is section 20c of the 1979 sales and goods act clearly states that it has to be fit for purpose, so it has to be sold as an item that tunes your car as that is how it's being sold... But does it really give the Performance figures it claims?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-3-0-TDI-CR-232BHP-Chiptuning-Tuningbox-/200543869854?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item2eb1589b9e

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 29th August 2014, 06:06 AM

That one looks like it's just a resistor with wires and plugs that sits between fuel pressure sensor and ECU. All it does is tells ECU that fuel pressure is lower that t really is and ECU then compensates for either by raising fuel pressure or increasing injection duration and dumping more fuel in engine. Not the most elegant way to do it. You could probably do the same just putting resistor in there for couple pennies.

There are better plug in boxes(and more expensive) but nothing beats custom tune.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 29th August 2014, 09:59 AM

Ive got a spare tuning box that i fitted to my 2011 3.0 Tdi Audi A7 which seemed to work well on that! In my case it both increased fuel economy and gave me some extra bhp and torque pretty successfully. It is adjustable to give more power or more fuel economy. I was getting 47 mpg instead of 42 ish on local shortish journeys and the reason I didnt go for a map was that it was a Company Lease Car so it could be removed when required if the car went back etc and wasn't permanent. Let me know if youre interested Mark, I could be persuaded to sell!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs