A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 13th April 2013, 05:28 PM

Default DIY tracker

I was going to post about this for some time now but never got around it.

This is a post for DIY tracking and will not count for anything or give any discounts for insurance companies but it is cost effective way if you just want to find your car when it's stolen or if you want to see what your kids, other half or garage guys are up to when they get their hands on your car.

I have been toying with the idea for a while. I ended up buying second hand HTC Wildfire phone on the e-bay for £40, and cigarette lighter USB charger for £0.99. I chose Wildfire as it's cheap and I have HTC Desire so familiar with HTC phones and Android operating system but most of Android phones should work and similar options are available on iPhone as well. For network connection I chose GiffGaff top up card, topped it up with £10 and got £15 credit as it was on some kind of promotion. I have used it for 5-6 months now and it has been active probably for half of the time set to upload information every minute and it has just over £5 still left on it. As it is phone it has it's own battery and will work for extended period of time without external power for example if battery gets disconnected.

I tried lot of software before permanently installing it in the car. I ended up using Real Time GPS Tracker(http://www.greenalp.com/RealTimeTracker/) software which is free and offer range of options and settings. As it is based on Google location services it use GPS, wireless and cell technology to determine location. GPS gives accuracy 2-24m depending of signal quality, if GPS signal is not available it searches for for available WiFi that Google has mapped with their Streetview cars and gives 20-150m accuracy, if that's not available as well then it relies on cell location data which range from 100m to several miles depending on location. It has a range of options like setting location update interval, upload interval and other options. Combining with other software you can also set range of movement before updating location. If You are BT customer you can enter your login information on the phone to connect to top WiFi hotspots o you save on data transfers.

The free software offers you to view real time location on another Android phone or webpage. Webpage also shows recent track record. For EUR2.4 a month or EUR12 for a year you get track loading feature which saves all the location data while the feature is active and tracks can be loaded on the map or exported at any time.

It also offers activation/deactivating from webpage or sending SMS message from another phone.

I have included couple of pictures to show it in action

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	5861   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	5862  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 13th April 2013, 06:09 PM

Absolute genious!!!
I'm going to try and do this too. I have a tracker from the previous owner but havent paid for the service so I assume its inactive.
Your set up is much better in my opinion, as it lets you see for yourself where the car is.
I'm a bit out of touch with technology and only realised this was possible just last week when a colleague from work lost her phone on the train. She showed me where it was on Googlemaps, worked out that it was a train station along her line, went in and luckily it was handed in to lost property. Clever stuff.
Maybe you should add a small hidden web camera so you could see whos behind the wheel.
Old 13th April 2013, 06:18 PM

How about this....
http://www.fastbikesmag.com/fastbike...read.php?t=441

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 13th April 2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should add a small hidden web camera so you could see whos behind the wheel.
That is a possibility if you hide phone in location so that phone camera can be used or if you take camera out of phone and rig up some extension cable. You might also be able to use USB camera if you can integrate drivers in operating system. There are apps available that turn phone in IP webcam. There are also apps available with callback feature, you send a text to phone and it calls you back so you can listen in what's going around it, I suppose there is a way to make it do video call back as well. Remote controls are possible through SMS or Google messaging services. The issue with video is amount of data and connection speed required so WiFi or good 3G connection is required.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 14th April 2013, 08:51 AM

i like this too, how good is it once the phone is hidden inside the car, it obviosly relies on cell signal but more importantly receiving sat signals for a really good fix,

did you try different locations, which was best
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom