A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 16th March 2015, 01:52 AM

i have had issues with hardlock drivers installed on my old laptop which still runs xp

i still have elsawin working but unfortunatly etka stopped working and i cannot get it back shame as i had all the updates on there also
Old 16th March 2015, 03:36 PM

I have etka running on Win 7 x64. There are some driver issues so if I need to use it I have to disable driver signing on boot up and it works fine
Old 18th March 2015, 06:45 PM

Late in on this thread, but... Have you thought about buying a cheap Dell running XP of Ebay and installing ETKA, ELSA and Bentley manuals on there and VNC into it from your Laptop or home Imac. This means only one installation of the applications and accessible from all computers, even your Iphone. The XP box can be switched on with WOL and can be hidden away with your NAS. VCDS as per your previous installation.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 18th March 2015, 07:14 PM

I'm not sure what you mean Matt

Old 18th March 2015, 07:50 PM

I run ETKA, ELSA, VCDS and NavPOInt on my Macbook pro using Parallels.
Under Parallels you run Windows 7 in a separate window, so no need to reboot.
No problems at all. All works perfectly for years.
Old 18th March 2015, 10:04 PM

I thought it maybe easier to install ETKA, ELSA and Bentley on a PC running windows XP so you don't have the bother of virtual machines, driver issues etc.. You can buy used Dell PC's with XP for next to nothing.

Once all the apps are running you can put the PC somewhere out of the way, no need for a screen or keyboard but it is connected to your home network by wire not Wi-Fi. Then when you wanted to use ETKA, ELSA, Bentley just boot up the PC using Wake-on-lan, wait a minute, connect to the PC using a VNC viewer and the XP desktop will be a window on your Mac. From this window you can use ETKA, ELSA, Bentley....

VNC is a method of controlling remote computers. The PC would need something like RealVNC Server and your Macs RealVNC viewer. There's also a viewer app for the iPhone. All free I believe.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 26th March 2015, 12:16 AM

Just seen the extra replies, sorry for late reply.

It's all fruitless now anyway as I have got the Macbook repaired for a reasonable £169 and its sitting at home waiting my arrival.

Once I stick my hard drives back in I should be up and operational again with all the above and able to scan the car.

Old 26th March 2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
The reason for not buying another is I have sent the MacBook away to get a new gpu fitted so once it comes back I'll be able to do vcds etc.
Wife's just had that problem and sent it away to an ebayer for repair. It was an ATI AMD RADEON 6670.
I ran ELSA on winows 8.1 with no problem but lost it when I installed windows 10.
To be honest I prefer those PDF's someone kindly posted of everything from ELSA and you can use the Mac's spotlight to search instantly.
I never got EKTA working long term so use partscats. and google the part number for a price.

Last edited by snapdragon; 26th March 2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 26th March 2015, 10:12 PM

I have both working just fine on win 7 64x, ELSA is the latest version which works even in Win8, I've tried and it does, and ETKA I run through XP Mode with no issues for over a year now and it never failed me.
Have the same setup on my desktop PC and it works fine same as on the laptop and same as on the Lenovo Tablet which I keep in the glove box at all times with 64x Win7

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten