A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 23rd May 2020, 07:50 AM

Default Front Headlight range control arm.

Hi all
Does anyone know if these 2 parts are the same? They are the plastic link rods for the range control.

4D0941299 (on the car and now NLA and buggerd).

8D0941299 (from a D3, sometimes we get lucky).

Thanks all, Frank
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:49 AM

8D is a mirror image of 4D, so the bolt at the top points outboard if you fit it to a D2, rather than inboard which it should do.

However, Mike and I managed to dismantle an 8D and get both the balljoints and the polyurethane sockets out of it, and then refitted them to the 4D plastic arm which then fitted back on a D2. Most of the time I just make a new arm from M6 rod ends, but we had the bits on the bench so gave it a go and it worked
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the reply MJ

I didn't notice they were the opposite way round. My powers of observation seem to be failing me as I get older.

I just ordered a Chinese made one from a supplier in London. Its not something I usually do, I'm an OE guy all the way usually but for something so cheap looking anyway I thought I'd take a look. The pressed steel bracket that holds the rod onto the control arm is heavily corroded on my car so I could do with replacing that also. The Chinese one comes with the bracket and the rod.

I did think about replacing the plastic rod with a metal one and some ball joints (as you mentioned in one of your other threads) but I was concerned about the extra weight on the already flimsy control arm bracket.

Can you believe there is one available from Audi Tradition at nearly 180Euro, that will be well over £200 landed here in the UK via a third party. I do regularly pay premium prices for OE parts if I can still get hold of them but this is just outrageous.

I'll feedback on the Chinese one when / if it arrives.

I might even order an 8D one and see if I can swap the ball joint and sockets. Still gonna be in Lockdown for a while yet so I can add it to my "keeping busy" list.

Stay safe everyone.