A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 26th September 2011, 09:32 AM

Default Well...didn't go that well...trip to Audi planned

Well I took the advice above and went for 5570.

Plugged in the charger,
Removed and CD's
Made sure my phone (BT) was miles away etc.

Disk one went well and as expected.
Disk two went well and as expected I had to do it twice.
Disk three went well.

Happy me...no...seems the jump from 900 to 5570 is too great and now the BOSE is in Component Protected (CP) mode, so I only get sound through front left speaker.

I have the Ross-Tech cable etc but as those in the know will tell you, this won't fix devices in CP mode.

So trip to Audi planned for Wednesday.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:56 AM

Clear all fault codes, and re-run the disks. Mine did that and a second run of the disks seemed to sort it out.

I know.. I know..

Old 26th September 2011, 01:57 PM

Tried that last night.

Cleared the faults but it doesn't clear the 'CP'. Once you re-insert the disks, they just report that everything is up to date and you can't up date anything.
Old 26th September 2011, 02:11 PM

nothing will clear the CP, Audi dealer must do it, only takes 15 minutes or so.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 28th September 2011, 07:47 AM

Ideally you need to jump to around 1000-2000 series software. It will then go into CP. Then run the final 5570 and sometimes it pulls it out of it.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:13 AM

I don't understand why it's designed like this, seems like a crap design to me. I understand the need for CP from an anti-theft perspective but most computer upgrades are cumulative or have a basic check to ensure that the upgrade is appropriate.

Audi engineers must also fall foul of this problem when having to perform updates and as such it would be better to design them properly. I’ve worked in the IT industry for over 20yrs and worked on everything from Mainframes, Mid-range, Unix…and this would never happen. Especially when blowing proms as this is doing. I think the automotive industry has a bit of catching up to do.

I have my visit to Audi today and hope to get the CP fixed quickly.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:03 AM

And...20mins later the CP is cleared and all is good with the world.

So on reflection:

Jumping from 900 - 5570 shouldn't be done in one go. While it didn't 'break' anything, it does cause some issues.

Look and don't accept what people on the forums say as 'fact'.

Most of the feedback is from people 'trying' these things at home. Based on what I have read and done...each upgrade can go differently. My experience shows that you can't upgrade but I've needed to go to Audi to get CP removed. No harm done and in the end I've saved a few hundred pounds not having an Audi engineer sit and watch the screen for a few hours. If you have concerns...spend the few hundred pounds and let them do it.

Thanks to those who helped.
Old 29th September 2011, 01:38 PM

I had mine upgraded in steps, took a few hours but I would rather be safe than sorry. Was extremely boring but worth it because I had no issues.

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 5th October 2011, 07:00 AM

Of all the threads and posts on the subject of MMI upgrades this is the most enlightening. I'm now minded to stick with what I've got and plug a Dension 500 in as I already know the CD player can do CD text. I don't use the sat-nav enough to be worried about 3-D maps and my German is good enough to put up with the reversion of language.
Old 5th October 2011, 08:37 AM

are we allowed to post the iso's for the update disks somewhere on here, it would help people if they were available, i have the 3 disk update which i could put up if it is allowed.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom