A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 23rd June 2022, 08:45 PM

Is check the ride height, relatively simple to lower using VCDS and could explain why it's better in lift mode?
Old 25th June 2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
If the shocks were worn I suspect it would be softer but bouncier. They could go hard if it was electrical problem and valve stayed completely closed all the time but it happening to all shocks at the same time is unlikely. Get somebody familiar with the D3 to have a look.

Wheel size and tyre make, model and pressure can make a big difference. Also for some aftermarket suspension arms the bushes transfer more shock than OEM so could be that if they have been changed. Not sure if track rod ends for D3 have rubber inserts but on D2 and C5 they do and it makes noticeable difference if using aftermarket solid TREs without rubber insert.
I happened to go over some speed bumps (slow speed) and it honestly felt like shocker was bottoming out, huge bang. Or maybe it is incredibly hard at lower speeds??

Bushes look ok, I have ordered new drop links but I'm very certain it isn't that.

If I remove the assembly, any way of testing the shock absorbers? Wouldn't want to spend £700 unnecessarily.

Last edited by hunker7; 25th June 2022 at 08:19 PM.
Old 26th June 2022, 05:02 PM

So I put it in auto for whatever reason and car seems a lot more comfortable. What could cause it to go hard on comfort and not auto?