A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 15th March 2022, 08:20 PM

Default B&O door speaker blown :(

I know that Ian had led the charge with budget friendly superglue fixes on the front dash speakers in the past,

Thought id throw my repair out there. My passenger front bass speaker has never worked cleanly since I bought the car. Over time it deteriorated.

On taking the door card off and investigating, the paper cone was detaching from the speaker surround.

Phase 1 was trying to liberally use an automotive silicone sealant to firm things up. This lasted a few days and then she let go again (although I just couldn't see where on the repair. It all looked good!

Phase 2 has been buying some speaker repair rings from ebay

4.5" 4.5 inch Speaker Foam Edge Surround Rings for Speaker Repair or DIY 2 pcs

I have built up some Uhu type glue hoping that as this remains more flexible it will allow the cone to move and not rupture again. Day 1 so far so good.

What has staggered me is this - even removing that speaker cleaned up the sound quality throughout the car and other speakers. Truly! The slightly distorted and dirty sound that the passenger parcel shelf had creeping in vanished!! I had honestly decided I had nothing to lose in attempting a bodge / repair as failing all else it sounded better without the speaker at all.

Taking bets on how long the repair lasts. But - at last - it now sounds like a beautiful B&O system. It clearly hasn't ever in the 8 months I have owned the car!!
Old 8th November 2022, 02:51 PM

I had the same issue. I ended up replacing mine with the bass drivers from a JL Audio C3-525 component speaker set as they fit with only a small amount of filing on the speaker chassis.

I haven't had the rear door cards off yet to inspect those units but I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 8th November 2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammmy View Post
I haven't had the rear door cards off yet to inspect those units but I'm not looking forward to it.
Dead easy when someone's done it before. Check out the following thread:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=151305

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th November 2022, 03:43 PM

Thanks, what scares me is what I will find behind them