A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 9th November 2015, 11:09 AM

Default Tips for removing leaf stains?

I've been away and returned to the A8 covered in wet leaves. After a simple sponge wash leaf stains are noticeable on the paintwork. What's the best way to remove these, best products etc?

Thanks

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 9th November 2015, 11:40 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

David has this problem and I think he's had to get the polisher to them. He'll be along shortly to advise I'm sure.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 9th November 2015, 11:50 AM

If you have a bit of automotive clay, or a clay mitt, after washing try the clay on a leaf stain.
I haven't had to deal with leaf stains but clay does seem to remove other stains such as old bird poo, water stains, and tar stains. Clay mitt seems to work too.
Clay should be less aggressive than polish. As long as most of the grainy dirt is washed off first.

I used this stuff.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail...prod_1163.html

and this

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...prep-clay-mitt

Although the Bilt Hamber medium clay is better than mitt at removing really stubborn stuff like old tar stains on the lower body.
So far I have not noticed any claying-induced scratches, just go very light no pressure and always over wet panels.

Last edited by Goran; 9th November 2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 9th November 2015, 03:59 PM

Thanks Jim and Goran for the reply
I'll give the clay bar a go and update how well it works.

Thanks

Old 10th November 2015, 11:00 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

A clay mit is a really good investment. I find mine much easier to use than clay bars.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 10th November 2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
I've been away and returned to the A8 covered in wet leaves. After a simple sponge wash leaf stains are noticeable on the paintwork. What's the best way to remove these, best products etc?

Thanks
SPONGE WASH

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 10th November 2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
SPONGE WASH
Double bucket method.

I know I should use a wash mit though.

Last edited by mattylondon; 10th November 2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10th November 2015, 05:38 PM

My issue arose in spring where the lovely pink blossom from the Japanese flowering cherry trees in our road blew onto the car. However, if not cleared off immediately and especially if they dried on in the sun, the blossom would mark the paintwork leaving a perfect negative of the blossom. After washing/claying the mark was still there so i tried a pad with some Fareclas G3/10 - no joy. Got the DA polisher out and gave it a light buffing - still no joy. Had to give it a good going over to remove it. And I noticed the other day that I STILL have some marks left which I either missed or didnt remove completely!

What is in the blossom/leafs that can mark what is supposed to be really hard paint - or is it the wax coat that's being marked? If the latter, then how come its been so hard to remove?
Old 27th November 2015, 06:11 PM

It must be tannin as in tea / tea-leaves.
Try lemon juice.