A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 16th February 2017, 11:01 AM

Default Oil Level Display

Has anyone got the level sensor display in their 2G D3?

I understand its a different sensor and coding but is that it?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:11 AM

It is a different sensor that connects to the engine ECU and AFAIK none of our ECUs support it.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
It is a different sensor that connects to the engine ECU and AFAIK none of our ECUs support it.
An extra pin on the sensor or done via canbus?

I've looked at the ETKA but can't see the difference between the sensors for our D3s.

I'm assuming ours has a slim chance of doing it based on the MMI menu options.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 16th February 2017, 03:46 PM

I read two threads about this on forums, not sure if it was this one. Someone enabled the menu and bought the sensor which plugged into the existing plug - but nothing. They concluded that our sensor is wired to the instrument cluster but cars which have this feature have it wired to the engine ECU and A8 doesn't have that kind of ECU that say a 2.0TDI has. I am happy to be corrected.

e.g.
http://audiforum.us/threads/oil-leve...i.11207/page-2

Last edited by snapdragon; 16th February 2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 16th February 2017, 04:02 PM

Yep, what Snap said is all correct.

The A4 8K & A5 8T have a G266 sensor - a combined oil level and temp sender - wired to the engine ECU. These values are sent via CAN and read by the control head.

The D3 has a simple oil pressure switch wired to the instrument cluster.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 16th February 2017, 07:21 PM

You're better off without it, It is standard issued on the D4. In my experience on the D4, it is rubbish and I'd prefer to have a dipstick given the choice. It couldn't have cost that much to make.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:30 PM

Scrub that one off the list.

Good to know though
Old 18th February 2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
You're better off without it, It is standard issued on the D4. In my experience on the D4, it is rubbish and I'd prefer to have a dipstick given the choice. It couldn't have cost that much to make.
I agree, I have one on my BMW and it is a royal pain, would much prefer a manual dipstick!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 19th February 2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
You still have a tube, I used an old dip stick from another Audi, removed the old plastic end and marked the high and low points according to the electronic gauge by twisting in my vice

Looking at Etka it's a different tube to the d3 4.2 tdi, else I'd of bought one!
Old 19th February 2017, 08:30 PM

Sounds like a plan, I had asked a Dealer if one could be fitted and didn't get any joy. I'll investigate further.