A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 17th June 2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Has anyone used the c£30 VCDS programs you can get on the likes of ebay and amazon? Obviously copies but if they work well enough I'm happy
Yes, KKL £5-10 interfaces seem to be OK but are slower and do not offer full functionality on newer cars. HEX + CAN starting from £12 for older versions can be a bit of hit and miss, some work very well others produce a lot of communication errors but this can usually be solved by connecting battery charger to the car to raise voltage, sometimes they can fail after time. Seems like they do not like low voltage and you don't know how good it will be until you buy and try.

The last one I have bough after having some KKL interfaces, some failing and others dog getting hold of and destroying is this one https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.DYrMHB and it has been faultless so far. The same seller now also sell newer version which was not available when I bought mine https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.qP0SIu But obviously there is no guarantee that it will be faultless even if you buy the same version from the same seller.

Also if you are topcashback.co.uk member you can get 7.87% cashback from Aliexpress purchases but it takes about 3 months.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th June 2017, 10:03 PM

I wouldn't read anything into the timing chain rattle, I had this on start up on a 3.0TDI D3 for at least 2 years before I swapped it out for a D4, never had an issue starting even with only 5 working glowplugs. (1 duff one seized in the head that wouldn't come out).
I still think it sounds very likely to be the starter.
Old 21st June 2017, 07:51 PM

I tend to agree about the starter. I'm going to do some preliminary investigation underneath the car to assess how easy/difficult/impossible it is to get the starter out. I've reached the stage where i have decided that I think I'm going to have to pull the engine anyway to do the timing chains/tensioner. Apart from the rattle on starting it ticks constantly on idle and sometimes it sounds like a bag of bolts until its been driven gently for a little bit. I don't know how long the engine will run with the duff tensioners but I do know that it will be catastrophic if they fail completely so it needs to be done at some point.

Anyway thats all off topic, but if the engine gets pulled soon I will do the starter then and live with the hot start issue until then.
Old 21st June 2017, 08:21 PM

On a 4L Q7 with the same engine, starter replacement is 4hrs labour, it's unlikely to be any more on a D3. The labour on pulling an engine on a D3 could be more than half the value of the car. Unless the car is worth big money, I wouldn't touch the chains. I had timing chain rattle from 160K miles onward. I changed the car just past 230K miles and the rattle hadn't got any worse to be honest. My D3 was an 04 with an ASB engine code and had oil changed every 10K miles from new.
It's very rare that the timing chains cause a catastrophic engine issue, they would normally just get noisier, changes would stretch etc.
The rattle you have at idle could also be tappets. What sort of miles are you at ?
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:23 AM

Mine is ASE engine code on 141K Ive had it since february and have done 5-6K miles. It's gone from occasional clatter on start-up, occasional ticking on idle to clatter on most start-ups and always ticking on idle. I had initially thought that the ticking was a lazy hydraulic tappet on cylinder four but all evidence points to tensioners.

I'd be pulling the engine myself although I'm going to look into taking the front of the car off. Every other Audi Ive had the whole front end came off and I'm convinced i can do the same with this one. Even if there are parts of the space frame that go along the front of the engine, once the bumper is off, radiator and AC condensor, fans and top rail are off surely there would be sufficient room to change the timing chain etc?

That's interesting that you were four hours labour for changing the starter. Do you know what was involved? I still havent had a chance to investigate under the car to have a look. I'm off to mallorca for the weekend tomorrow for the fiesta de san juan so wont get a chance until next weekend at the earliest. At best I reckon the cat on the relevant side will need removing, probably much more. I'll be getting my new lathe in a couple of weeks so will be able to clean up the commutator etc nicely when i get the starter out.

gill
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:31 PM

The official VAG removal time is 4 hrs, I got it done by my local dealer as they had got a goodwill agreement with Audi to cover most of the cost of the starter.
I suspect it took them slightly longer. Removal involved removing the alternator first for access as the starter is directly behind it. The closest engine mount was also unbolted to get movement for improved access. Space looks tight in that region on the Q7, a D3 might be better.
As for the chains, the quickest way would be to drop the front subframe, suspension and engine/autobox together if you can get access to a lift. That way you have clear access to the rear face of the engine. Obviously some locking tools would be needed for the timing gear. Not a job for the faint hearted I suspect.
Old 25th June 2017, 11:29 AM

Ahhh, is there another chain/tensioner/thing that needs to be done at the back of the engine then? I don't have easy access to a lift although I do have a 3.5 tonner forklift, engine cranes etc. I've watched a couple fo videos. The process doesnt worry me at all and i have plenty of spare vehicles to use while the job is getting done.... I shall start a seperate thread about the tensioners as there doesn't seem to be too much info about the job online so it will be easier for others to fnid info after using a google search.