Old 8th July 2009, 09:51 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoneman View Post
hahah yeah the carpets always come 1st in my eyes
Plastic bin liners?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
'What's the best bang for your bucks'.
I thought that was a Twin turbo Nissan 300zx? But I wouldnt be seen dead in one! There are lots of other reasons why the 8 is a better motor, but there pretty dam good for bang for your bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
U only kill fat people James?

I reckon I could get 3 no problem, 5 with a good shove and 8 with a cordless reciprocating saw

Or are you only prepared to risk the bodily fluids of two getting into the carpet
lol
'72 Mini Pick up Supercharged 1380
'03 S4 Avant
Old 9th July 2009, 12:55 PM
entwisi

For me it was

I was driving a V70 T5 already, wanted something equally comfy ( broken back and 120 miles a day makes this a necessity) significantly more power ( I set myself a 300bhp minimum ) in my budget ( < £6K as doing my mileage kills cars in 3/4 years so I buy and run till they drop and assume I'm getting nothing back for them). Heavy ( I tow a 24foot caravan sometimes.

From this I looked at

A8s, Gearbox worried me, rightly so...
Jag XJR - nikasil worries made me discount these but I loved the idea, maybe next time round the post NS cars will be in my budget )
BMW M5 - never been a BMW fan so this wasn't really high on my list
Alpina B10 - saw 2 for sale that interested me, sort of BMW for those in the know so not a BMW in my eyes..
S class - never liked Mercs at all so quickly discounted.
Lexus - too 'boring' looking for me

In the end I asked my mechanic his opinions on my shortlist and he already looked after a couple of A8s and loved them to work on, he hated BMWs and Merc saying build quality had gone seriously downhill post late 90's, Lexus were very good but I'd already mentally knocked it off teh list. Jags he liked but warned me about teh NS issues and to be very careful with service histories etc

I drove a couple of A8's and an S8 before I found the one I eventually bought.

Its been a rocky ride so far, despite checking over as well as we could and having what looked like a guaranteed recently rebuilt gearbox its been a checkered start for me in 8 ownership.

6 weeks in my gearbox destroyed itself and the guarantee turned into vapourware

lots of little niggles come to light, its using a bit of coolant which we now believe to be going through teh gas vapourisor diaphragm. This will be fixed in the next few weeks when our new baby is born as I won't need my car for a couple of weeks. The pool under the front which I assumed to be the leaking coolant turns out to be air con water so not as worried about that although it is quite embarrassing going back to my car on teh company car park to find its wee'd itself every day and in a particularly noticeable place too.

other niggles? squeaky brakes that no amount of re copper greasing teh back of teh pads solves, wiper motor linkage coming loose, expansion chamber starting to leak, washer pipe coming loose. oh and a gearbox that just doesn't seem to be programmed like my brain wants it to be. ongoing investigations in this space

lots of little bits that just never happened in 4 years of volvo ownership.

Anyway, its running and reliable now so I look forward to the next few years of ownership then I'll probably buy something different.