A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 23rd February 2020, 09:52 PM

Default steering wheel help

My S8 had a 3 spoke steering wheel installed some time before my ownership. I'm not sure which model it came from. I bought a decent used S8 steering wheel which has the tip buttons. Since my S8 was converted to a 6 speed manual trans, I'm not concerned with hooking up those tip buttons to operate.

So I went out to the car to swap out the steering wheels, first thing I noticed that there is a triple square nut that mounts the steering wheel. So I bought a triple square bit set online. Another thing I noticed is that there is this white circuit board looking panel behind the metal plate in the steering wheel. I have no idea what it's for. You can see it in this picture below.

Upon further inspection I noticed that there is 2 wires that connects to this white circuit board looking panel. It has 1 black wire and 1 brown wire as seen in this picture.

The S8 steering wheel that I bought doesn't have that white circuit board looking panel. Here is a pic of the S8 steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering wheel 1.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	24450   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering wheel 2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	24451   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering wheel 3.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	24452  

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 01:51 AM. Reason: added missing pictures as attachments
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:04 PM

Thats for the horn. Just a different way of doing it between B6 A4 (what the top wheel is from) and the D2. It looks like you're missing some wiring from the S8 wheel. Do you have the small black rectangular plug?

Also, do you have the airbag for the S8 wheel? They are very likely slightly different & tend not to swap between wheels of different generations.

If you can find a B5 S4 or A4 QS that should be plug n play and will have the recess in the bottom for the 'S' badge which can be swapped for an 'S8' badge
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Thats for the horn. Just a different way of doing it between B6 A4 (what the top wheel is from) and the D2. It looks like you're missing some wiring from the S8 wheel. Do you have the small black rectangular plug?

Also, do you have the airbag for the S8 wheel? They are very likely slightly different & tend not to swap between wheels of different generations.

If you can find a B5 S4 or A4 QS that should be plug n play and will have the recess in the bottom for the 'S' badge which can be swapped for an 'S8' badge

Ah ok. It does have the small black plug, it was tucked behind the metal part of the steering wheel. Here is a picture of the plug.

The S8 steering wheel that I bought doesn't have the airbag. The air bag that's currently used on this car looks like a D2 S8 air bag. I know that doesn't mean anything without a part number to compare it against.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	steering wheel 4.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	24454  

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 02:00 AM. Reason: added missing picture as attachment
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:50 PM

Mmm that is missing the horn wiring then. That connector in your pic is for the tiptronic buttons. I mis-spoke (typed?) about the black plug - its yellow you need. The horn wiring is on the airbag harness which you are missing. It has the yellow connector for the airbag itself, another yellow connector to the slip ring, and then two spade connectors which go on to the tab you can see on the right of your pic plus another one out of sight just above it (all circled below)

You can actually ignore the black connector since you don't need the tip buttons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200223_225309.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	22927  
Old 23rd February 2020, 11:46 PM

Oh. I do have that yellow plug harness. You can see that in the 2nd picture that I originally posted. So I can just reuse that wiring harness? Thanks for clarification of that black connector for the tip buttons and I will definitely not use it.

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 02:01 AM.