A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 12th September 2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Having cleaned it up and put it back in, I was checking the shifter alignment yesterday using VCDS. Between P & R and R & N the TCU shows 'Z1' and between N and D it shows 'Z2' so those intermediate contacts definitely tell it something different. Presumably its so it can prepare for what is coming next - it apparently can't tell direction, since it can be put in to Z2 from D, and then put straight back in D, but I guess it uses the Z positions to prepare the gearbox for what may come next.

I didn't get the binary code for Z, but that can probably be worked out from the contacts, or observing VCDS again.
Excellent research. I think that's consistent with what I worked out and documented in post #16 above. Z1 = 1100, Z2 = 1010.
There should be another code for between D and 4/S. And a 4th code for 4-3 and 3-2 if have that available.

So we do now know that those intermediate positions exist and are recognised by the TCU, though not if it does anything (or what) as a result.
This could be the basis of another useful diagnostics test on the F125, moving the shifter slowly and monitoring the TCU.
Where exactly in VCDS do you find those codes?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th September 2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12th September 2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Excellent research. I think that's consistent with what I worked out and documented in post #16 above. Z1 = 1100, Z2 = 1010.
There should be another code for between D and 4/S. And a 4th code for 4-3 and 3-2 if have that available.

So we do now know that those intermediate positions exist and are recognised by the TCU, though not if it does anything (or what) as a result.
This could be the basis of another useful diagnostics test on the F125, moving the shifter slowly and monitoring the TCU.
Where exactly in VCDS do you find those codes?
I couldn't get it to show anything for that - it just went straight from one to the other.

Its in measuring blocks. I can't remember which one but not very far in. Scroll through and you'll see it.
Old 12th September 2020, 03:54 PM

Automatic Transmission (2), Measuring Block 4 and it also shows the binary 4-bit codes on the F125, exactly as I had worked out in fact.
There's a higher block (11?) that shows some of that data (and Tiptronic IIRC) but block 4 is best.

My car is of course exactly the same, only Z1 and Z2, no code between D and S.

BUT a really interesting observation! When VCDS was showing Z1 or Z2 the DIS was no longer highlighting a selector position.
It was still showing PRNDS but no red highlight until the stick moved slightly and the F125 showed a standard position.
MJ, is this what yours was doing when you struggled to get reverse or was PRNDS missing?

Edit, I think you did have PRNDS displayed, so that could indeed have been a Z1 or Z2, not a totally invalid code, just "in transit":
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
So from that can we surmise that mine was getting a completely invalid code from the switch since it displayed nothing? PRNDS was displayed with nothing highlighted with the shifter in R, and would only show R on the display when pushed to just the right spot.
And in fact my initial guess may well have been correct, with a Z1 code being read:
Quote:
I reckon MJs suspect F125 pictured in her Workshop thread, may well have been giving a 1100 code (between R and... N or P) when R was selected (normally 0100).
This could have been due to shorting of the track for pin 2 to its contacts, while still having the reversing lights on.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th September 2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12th September 2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
BUT a really interesting observation! When VCDS was showing Z1 or Z2 the DIS was no longer highlighting a selector position.
It was still showing PRNDS but no red highlight until the stick moved slightly and the F125 showed a standard position.
MJ, is this what yours was doing when you struggled to get reverse or was PRNDS missing?

Edit, I think you did have PRNDS displayed, so that could indeed have been a Z1 or Z2, not a totally invalid code, just "in transit":

And in fact my initial guess may well have been correct, with a Z1 code being read:
Yep thats exactly it. It must have been seeing Z1, so not throwing any errors. Only in that one specific position did it get R.
Old 12th September 2020, 06:46 PM

I wonder what Craigs TCU was seeing when he had his gearbox problems, maybe also Z1?
Bearing in mind it was his problem/question that caused this thread to be initiated.

Good to see he's got it going now, but I did struggle to understand what the initial problem was. It looked like it was something really serious but I think it was just that "P" wasn't illuminating on the DIS (though everything may have actually been working) which was down to a shifter cable adjustment.

This highlights a couple of things, firstly that the two sides of the F125 really are electrically/electronically independent and work very differently and secondly that mechanical devices can work incorrectly but be sending valid signals (at the wrong time) so often no errors are logged by the IT kit.

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th September 2020 at 07:01 PM.