A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Common Faults

D2 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th May 2009, 09:55 PM

Default Noisy air con compressor

Had this 3 times now on VAG cars Passat, A6 and now the '8'

Basically if when you have the air con (climate not on ECON) on, from the cabin you can hear a whirring noise that changes as the rev's go up and down, and will be resonant at certain revs, in my case about 2500rpm you most probably have low gas. Although the air con will still feel cool, it will probably have low capacity. There is no abnormal noise from the compressor itself if you listen outside, it seems to resonate internally.

Apparently the '8 units are very high capacity anyway, so even if you are a bit low on gas it would probably cool ok, although the compressor will make the whirring noise.

To check if you have the problem, simply press ECON or turn the climate off (on my D2 press fan - until it gets to min and switches off) while the engine is running,and see if things get quieter.

It annoyed me so much I just used the climate in ECON mode all the time, that is until the weather warmed up. £75 later for a vac out, leak test and recharge, and its now ice cold and no whirring, just V8 music to my ears!

W