A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 3rd August 2014, 07:52 AM

Default Death of one A8 and the Rebirth of another

well my old 1994 A8 4.2Q was getting a bit long in the tooth - 280,000 miles, doors misaligned/dropping, seats tired, gearbox clunky but it was the steering problem which was getting worse and worse. This is where for no reason it looses all PAS - usually in a car park, sometimes going round corners

The cost of the new rack/column was not the issue (alone) but the labour in doing the job and to a car that was not worth much anyway. However, I still needed a tow car for my track car and the A8 did that in Spades.

Andrew in Linlithgow in Scotland had a green one for spares or repair and had done a lot of good work on it and from the description it sounded a good base. see the thread here.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8212

So I bought it blind and on good faith and organised for it to be transported to a Mate's garage in West Yorkshire.

The plan was to fix the driveshaft/gearbox problem and swap all the bits fro the black one to the green one thus creating one good tow car for not a lot of money - or as I thought maybe break even :-) given the price of Aluminum scrap.

Last edited by texas2201; 4th August 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:12 AM

Well the car arrived at Gaz & Stan's and the transport guy refused to cross the bridge into the estate where the workshop was - so they had to tow it across - bit of a faff but they managed it.

Discovered the bumper that was loosely fitted was badly damaged - not sure if this was in transit or whatever, but we had a good bumper on the black one so no worries. Also windscreen was cracked and had a big stone chip on the passenger side - buying blind you don't see theses things. He ho we had a good one on the black one.

So next up was to drop the black one of at the workshop for the "transfer" to begin. Got some quotes which said that Aluminum was £600 a ton and if there was 1.5 tons on it in the A8 that could be £900! sounds promising :-)

Also four brand new 18" alloys with good tyres all round with 6mm of tread, recaro seats, solar panel, lights etc it seemed to make sense and my plan seemed to have some substance.

So the black one was stripped down to remove the none aluminum parts.

sadly the screen broke getting it out

Here is the bad part - one you have done all of this over many hours of labour it is only 480kgs which translates into £240 plus £100 for the steel parts.

My plan was falling apart
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:50 AM

So I sold a load of bits and pieces from the black one and I am now down about £1,200! but I still have a number of bits that might sell which might improve the situation.

So onto the green one - they sort out the drive shaft issue (black one swap) - good. We put the brake disks and pads from the black one on and I keep the new ones which came with the green ones as spares. Fitted the tow bar and electrics from the black one along with the harder/stronger towing springs.

Put it in for MOT and it fails on front suspension arms which was surprising as Andrew said he replaced those, so that gets sorted relatively cheaply.

However, it has a blown head gasket! New set of gaskets £700 NO! Replacement engine from A8spares £360 better. But with removal and refitting this will be expensive................So no car and £1200 down.

Think about it for a day or so and Gaz says he used a product called Steelseal on a Rover K series and it cured it, but you would not be taking the head off in the future as it will be welded on. this was not a problem for me.

So we tried it and Gaz followed the instructions - plugs out in sequence and cycle them...............it worked :-) so £40 and a bit of labour and it seems to have cured it. Phew.

So the final snag list was headlights need to be replaced out of the black one, fit the HID's, fix the rear lights, brake pad warning sensor, cruise control, new driver seat belt, windscreen and regas the air con.

So now all on the snag list is sorted apart from cruise and the seat belt (it works but just wont rewind cleanly) Put a message into A8spares for a seat belt and a brake switch.

Getting to like it now and off to Germany (Nurburgring) on Monday towing a trailer with track car.

will post some pics of the green one up later once it has had a good clean and polish.

would I do it again..............let me think about it..........NO not worth the aggravation.
Old 3rd August 2014, 06:17 PM

All ready for its trip to the Ring
Old 3rd August 2014, 06:23 PM

People like you make me envious, I really wish I could take on a project like that.

Well done, hope your journey is trouble free and enjoyable

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:14 PM

Yes well done on getting that far! Good work, and you've saved at least one of the cars!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 19th August 2014, 07:36 AM

Well my journey to the Ring, Germany was eventful!!!

On the Monday morning I was packing the car (E36 M3) onto the trailer and thought I don't need the road wheels and tyres. So I put some track wheels on and in the process of doing so I noticed a gap in one of the new brake pads where there should have been material!!!! it had de-laminated and half the pad was missing!!!

So I phoned the supplier who had a spare set - but they were in Solihul......no chance as I had to get on the road. So he put them in the post for me.

A friend came up with a set of EBC Reds - not the best pads but beggars cannot be choosers and I could pick them up on the way to the ferry. Excellent.

With the trailer hooked up the rear of the A8 was much lower than the old black one? Moving the car back on the trailer improved this but caused fishtailing at speed Hmmmm! Will need to look at this.
Old 19th August 2014, 07:58 AM

The journey to Germany was as usual - boring and monotonous. Had a fabulous time while I was there and did more than 25 laps over the two days.

Th journey back was not so good. I got to Ghent in Belguim - having suffered the traffic chaos that is the Brussels Ring Road..............

When there was an almighty bang and bits of metal bounced off the road and under the car! WTF

I pulled to a layby at the side of the E40 - jacked the car up and took the wheel off the offside rear................spring snapped in three places

Called the ADAC recovery services and my nightmare began............
Old 19th August 2014, 09:00 AM

So after four people separately checked the car, trailer, car on trailer, weights, dimensions etc.............you guessed it they sent the wrong sized truck!! Doh!

So another hour passed and the right truck turned up and took the whole thing to a storage area.

First thought was to rent a van/4X4 but Belgium in the first two weeks of August is closed............. and they have no vehicles with towbars?

Anyway there were also no rental cars in order to get home - I had a trackday/wedding at Goodwood the next day and if you remember I (for the 1st time ever) left the road wheels for the M3 at home - Doh!

So I waited at the storage facility from 430pm............................until it closed at 7pm. Then I waited outside for another hour. Then I got a cab into Ghent to get something to eat - thankfully it had stopped raining.

So at 930pm that evening they called me to say they had found a rental car at Brussels airport - a 105 euro cab ride away!

So I get a cab to the airport - pick up the hire car - Citroen C3 Picasso - weird looking thing - but went well. Got to the ferry port - could not use my return ticket so had to buy another return £155! get home at 3am.

I then got up at 7am and pulled the Lotus out of the garage to use it at Goodwood. My daughter was coming along and she called to say she was leaving - she lives in Newbury. So I said I was just leaving and would be just a few minutes behind her....................

She got there in 46 mins - I took nearly three hours..........traffic on M3 - she missed all of it.

Good trackday and wedding.

Back to Ghent on Monday - set off at 3am. Meanwhile I had got a message saying car was in garage.
Old 19th August 2014, 09:04 AM

this is getting boring now................

"if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all..............."

so paraphrasing:-

car not in garage still in storage - no garage identified

I had the spare springs with me to be fitted - no garage would fit them.........

found one that would - so we all moved to there

car fixed by 530 - booked on 7pm ferry - A8 even lower at the back

terrible weather missed the 7pm - queue meant I could not get on ferry until 10pm

10pm left Dunkirk and there was an immediate medical emergency - no doctors on board back to port - disembark the emergency and back to sea .......2.5 hours lost - got home at 430am..............

Still need to get to Paris on business now.........but that is another story