A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 2nd February 2015, 08:28 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Well I would be asking an expert first before doing anything, but I would have thought one way in would be taking off the numberplate and going in there somehow.
Agreed. Like I said, your suggestions would be what I'd do first too. I was considering the options for a last resort scenario.

Although, I think I'd be concerned about the security of the boot if it were too easy.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:46 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Just let me check that I understand this:

1. The central locking works on the 'blipper' and opens the doors (and the fuel cap cover), but not the boot?
2. The key opens the door but not the boot?
3. Everything was OK a few days ago?
Now, point 1 can happen if a local leak occurs in the vacuum tubing. And point 2 can occur if the rod linkages are disconnected. I've had both of these happen, but not at the same time.
Can the central locking be operated by the door key? I'd be tempted to keep trying for a few days (after I'd called A8 Parts!) on the off-chance that it opened on one occasion.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Just let me check that I understand this:

1. The central locking works on the 'blipper' and opens the doors (and the fuel cap cover), but not the boot?
2. The key opens the door but not the boot?
3. Everything was OK a few days ago?
Now, point 1 can happen if a local leak occurs in the vacuum tubing. And point 2 can occur if the rod linkages are disconnected. I've had both of these happen, but not at the same time.
Can the central locking be operated by the door key? I'd be tempted to keep trying for a few days (after I'd called A8 Parts!) on the off-chance that it opened on one occasion.
Yes, you are right, i remember now, i tried to connect with vag-com few weeks ago and there was a mistake inside my a8 computer memory, smth with "leaking" and "vacuum" , today i removed ski hatch bag, then with few sticks i managed to remove little trim from boot to view the lock from inside (not main, that one on rear light), there should be a little hook on that lock yes? I dont know why, but that hook is not on the lock. I tried to move it, it is very hard to do that because of space... Few guys told me an idea "lets brake rear light and then you will be able to reach main lock with your hand" , well that sounds awful , but how do you think, that kind of action can help me or it is just another try, but just with consequences...

Last edited by Laisvydas; 3rd February 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 3rd February 2015, 07:04 PM

You didn't say you had a ski hatch before....

But yes the back of the lock has two rods on it going towards the latch, sort of goldish metal, one has a big sort of loop in it like bishops crook.
They fit into white plastic mounting on the lock. Not sure which does what, but you might be able to fish the missing one out (assuming that's the important one) and pull it sideways.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd February 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 3rd February 2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laisvydas View Post
Yes, you are right, i remember now, i tried to connect with vag-com few weeks ago and there was a mistake inside my a8 computer memory, smth with "leaking" and "vacuum" , today i removed ski hatch bag, then with few sticks i managed to remove little trim from boot to view the lock from inside (not main, that one on rear light), there should be a little hook on that lock yes? I dont know why, but that hook is not on the lock. I tried to move it, it is very hard to do that because of space... Few guys told me an idea "lets brake rear light and then you will be able to reach main lock with your hand" , well that sounds awful , but how do you think, that kind of action can help me or it is just another try, but just with consequences...
It sounds as if you're trying the trick mentioned here:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/40593.phtml

The 'hook' that you mention is bronzy coloured in the second picture, and needs to be pushed towards the outer edge of the car. Since you're having to do this from the back seat, whatever you use will need to be pretty sturdy.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd February 2015, 07:12 PM

Yes, that's it (just been to look at mine) if you can find it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BottLockBack.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	10078  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th February 2015, 08:31 AM

Looking at that photo, another option might be to undo the 4 nuts that secure the light unit and then take that out to make access easier. You'll need a long extension to the socket drive, but if you have a couple of mates with socket sets, that should be possible.

There's another photo on this thread that you might find useful: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5403
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 4th February 2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 5th February 2015, 10:05 PM

Hey guys, problem solved. I took out rear light, that action helped me to reach main lock easily, i tried to play with that vacuum hook and el. motor but it was hopeless, so i removed bolts from main lock but it didn't helped, it was still holding up, so i decided to cut it out, well, it helped... small metal peace was stuck inside my boot lock and somehow that peace got stuck main lock, that's my story so now, i ordered new main lock from audi dealer (price - 48euros), thanks for help.
Old 5th February 2015, 10:41 PM

Glad you got it sorted with minimal damage

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 6th February 2015, 10:38 AM

I'm pleased it's sorted too. Sounds like it was just a bit of bad luck with the broken part jamming the lock like that.

But it's a useful point for us all to remember, that you can remove the rear light through the ski hatch! Thanks for posting the solution.