A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 26th May 2017, 07:37 PM

A8 parts have the proper kit and as long as someone like Dezzy (his took over an hour possibly due to leaks&#128512 it should be all done and dusted within 15-20 mins.
Old 26th May 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Groupon usually have some good deals for air con recharge, had my oldest's done for £19, which is less than half the price for the kit from Halfrauds.
I saw that groupon, it was only £28 so I caved in and booked it.
Its some place called ATS Euromaster, never heard of it before, I hope they are good. I too am weary of a place not familiar with our cars.
Old 27th May 2017, 05:17 AM

I relented and took it yesterday having gotten a voucher code. £39 sheets all done. Takes an hour, they can only use the high pressure port so it's drained, vac tested and then has to be filled into the high side which I assume slows it down a bit. They recovered about 330grams from the system (which needed 775g put back in) so it was half full. Not bad, it's the first time it needed filling in 8 years and was still making 15-18c air from the vents (so knocking 10c off of ambient). Yestderday it was making 9c and setting it to 18 on climate had it slowing the vent speed after 5 minutes of running which was rather pleasant in what I assume is the sum total of this years summer ��

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 17th June 2017, 03:07 PM

Had the A6 re-filled yesterday at CS Autos in Northampton. It's been 5 years since buying car and air con has never been refilled, it's always on Auto meaning that aircon is always working when outside temperature is above +5C.
They recovered 430gr of gas and filled with 600gr so it had not lost too much. I cannot tell if it's any colder now but it definitely starts cooling faster.
I have not used Groupon before so I went to Groupon through topcashback.co.uk and got 8% cashback +£5 new customer first purchase cashback on top of already cheap £22 deal making total effective cost of £15.24

Probably need it doing on S8 as well as it's never been done in 9 years since buying it and not as cool as it used to be but still working which is pretty good considering some of my friends had theirs filled up, drive for 1 summer, then not in use for the winter and need filling up again next year. I think maybe keeping it on auto and on most of the time also circulates some oil and keep rubber seals in good condition but when it's off 90% off time rubber dries out and lets the gas out.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th June 2017, 03:59 PM

That is very cheap!
Its really good advice, I suspect mine only lasts 1 summer at a time because I very rarely use it. I'll try leaving it on auto after the refill and see how long it lasts.
Old 26th June 2017, 04:15 AM

After driving recently refilled A6 and S8 in some hot weather I can say that cooling performance on S8 is better even if aircon has never been serviced in 9 years I had car. A6 starts cooling almost instantly after re-fill but overall cooling performance has not changed, S8 takes a minute or 2 to start cooling but does better job after that. Not sure if I want to do anything with it at this point as I cannot use the same offer again. I think maybe if it ain't broken don't fix it.

On another note I have done some surveys among friends and it seems like I previously mentioned if you regularly use your aircon it seems to last forever but if you only use it occasionally you need to refill every 1-2 years and this even includes new cars. Obviously therre is slight fuel economy penalty if you use it all the time like me and I have not looked into how much money you loose on fuel compared to aircon re-fill. But I guess you don't need to run it all the time as long as you switch in on every now and again to get the gas circulating and draw some oil with it as well.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th June 2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
A8 parts have the proper kit and as long as someone like Dezzy (his took over an hour possibly due to leaks&#128512 it should be all done and dusted within 15-20 mins.
Eh, put those nails away, catty! No leaks on the Traders8 i'll have you know. Quite the opposite, it would not release the gas, so the machine would go into it's cycle but just hang at the "i should be sucking gas out" stage.

I reckon the 8 was getting IT back for bullying me.

Bright yellow bus o love.