A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 8th April 2015, 12:45 AM

Default 4.2 L TDI - MMI power on/off button

hi guys,

i have recently bought a very nice L[ong] 4.2 that has abundance of extras including B&O etc. Now as prev. owner had bought it for himself and later brought in a chauffer to take him places he had disabled [e.g. glued believe it or not] front on/off button so that he was able to control music+volume from the rear centre console.

Question i have is can that switch only be replaced including the housing for the same or do i need to replace whole MMI cluster incl. all other buttons/switches etc?
Old 8th April 2015, 08:45 AM

Hi Centurion,
Welcome to the group.
That is an unusual way to do a mod.
Are you sure that the button has been glued? Could it be spillage from a drink with sugar in? I know, difficult to spill drink in that position but could be "sticky" finger or spray. I would try removing the switch and then soaking the switch only in water. Dry it out really well before reconnecting it.
Only a guess but I remember having a car detailed a few years back and landed up with sticky buttons that the cleaning fluid they used had dried jamming the buttons, took a while to clean them out.
Good luck with it

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)