A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 13th August 2011, 11:44 AM

Default Timing belt kit

Hi folks

I tried to order timing belt kit plus thermostat and water pump from Euro car parts in Glasgow but they say they dont do it

Where is the best place to order these?

Stevie

Last edited by sporran; 13th August 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 13th August 2011, 11:50 AM

personally I would go to TPS and get genuine VAG parts for this important item, or try and get a few quotes for different audi parts places and try to get some discount from one or more

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th August 2011, 12:28 PM

Sporran, do you have all the locking tools, (or have done one before)? as it's very easy to get this wrong if you don't have the correct equipment.

Though I'd go with TPS, or even see how much Glasgow Audi want for the lot too.

I know.. I know..

Old 13th August 2011, 01:05 PM

Is it 32V or 40V? I have timing tools that i can rent out for 32V, they are with quattronutter at the moment and he does not have time to do it so it looks like i will be doing it for him next weekend but they should be available after that.

For the parts you can try e-mailing to sales@dieseltrader.co.uk or call 07841687788, I got VW Quantum Longlife III oil from him at very good price and he said he can get most genuine VW parts at good prices too, i assume that includes all VAG parts but not sure anyway worth asking.

Eurocarparts do have thermostat for 32V I know as i ordered one for m8ght just yesterday and also one before that for myself.
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:57 AM

Yes, if you're inexperienced with replacing the V8 timing belt, get someone else to do so, and if you must attempt it yourself, use the locking tool.

I myself have done so many, I've lost count. I've only used the locking tool once, and that was only because the Service Manager at the Audi dealership I worked at was standing over me, lol.

These days, I just get it done without, as I don't have access to the tool, and I can work faster without it. It was the first main item I replaced on my S8 when I got her just over two weeks ago. It had been done, but wanted to be sure ALL idlers and tensioner items had been replaced, as well as the water pump and thermostat.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 11th September 2011, 04:37 PM

I always use genuine for this chap myself. Most aftermarket don;t cover the V8 but always use genuine bits for these myself as the warrenty is well worth it!

If you need ELSA instructions sending as PDF give me your engine code - not really a DIY job if you're not confident though!
Old 11th September 2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Ben View Post
I always use genuine for this chap myself. Most aftermarket don;t cover the V8 but always use genuine bits for these myself as the warrenty is well worth it!

If you need ELSA instructions sending as PDF give me your engine code - not really a DIY job if you're not confident though!
Youre gonna force me to if you dont sort mine out soon!!!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs