A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 16th September 2012, 06:55 PM

Default Water 'spitting' from centre dash vents

I have a rather annoying 'slooshing' sound when accelerating briskly, or cornering spiritedly, and am now being 'spat at' from the central dash vents under acceleration, or under less acceleration going up hill

My carpets are (currently) dry

can't see any water up on the bulkhead, does anybody know which fix I'd need to try for this problem.... before I contract legionella or something

Thanks

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!
Old 16th September 2012, 07:06 PM

I'd vote for blocked aircon condenser drains.
AND I bet your carpets are soaked behind - they can hold an ENORMOUS amount in the backing and it takes days to dry out (off the car).
As I noted in another thread, rather than "blow" them clear, it's just as easy to take them out completely to give them a thorough clean.

See my "wet feet" thread - surprised you don't have that too. http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3898
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th September 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 19th September 2012, 05:04 PM

You were absolutely right HP

I did the job this afternoon, took out the orange thingys and thoroughly cleaned all the black gunk out of them under a hot tap with washing up liquid, caught loads of water out of the piping in a bucket (haribo tub). Yes my carpets seemed dry, but its amazing (frighteneing) how much water the foam sound deadening can hold!

My MDF cover is still perfect, thank goodness

All spitting and 'slooshing' gone now, just waiting for the carpets to dry

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!
Old 19th September 2012, 05:27 PM

Glad you're sorted, though I only picked up other people's knowledge.

The one thing I think I've added is that, once you get to the orange drains it's as easy as anything (if you're careful) to take them out totally and clean them thoroughly - much better than a blast of air or water.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 21st September 2012, 09:08 PM

Same problem here, planning to sort this tomorrow....
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:22 AM

Ok , Step 1 done - front mats removed, two and a bit pints of fluid removed from the backing foam, and mats drying alongside the boiler. MDF kick panel also drying out, as the bottom third of that was wet (pity, as Ian commented when fitting the solar roof that it was rare to see a pristine one...)

Step 2 I'm not clear on - the threads mentioned the "orange thingys" - where are they, how do you access them, etc?. I've had a look thru' the two threads I've found (this one and the linked forum on drainage), but can't see them, so not sure if I'm looking under the bonnet or the front floor space - all guidance very welcome, as ever.
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:43 AM

In the inside on the side of the tranny tunnel, you need to take the tunnel trims off, drivers side is a real pain, good luck

cheers

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...tordrains.html

remember thats for a south paw car

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:15 PM

Indeed, a few minor differences for RHD, but the fundamentals are the same.
You can see the orange drains in the photos. I'd advise taking them right out of the car for cleaning, they ease out fairly well if you're gentle, there's only a short bent pipe on the hidden (exterior) side which is what gets blocked with crud and isn't connected to anything.

They are sort of grommets with a pipe through and the two sides of the grommet are different sizes so relatively easy to put back without pushing right through.

Don't forget to have something to catch the water that pours out when you disconnect them from the tray!

Tips on putting them back:
Warm them in hot soapy water. This makes them more flexible and easier to slip into position.
Make sure you have them oriented the right way up, so that the drain to outside is pointing down.
Make sure you have the interior and exterior sides clearly identified - it is pretty obvious TBH.
Push firmly on the centre to refit - the smaller (outer) grommet should then fit snugly either side of the metal transmission tunnel. The large inner grommet is just a sort of shield that rests against the lining material.
I found that if I pushed on the centre with my thumbs while holding the inner grommet back with my fingers I could see (*and feel) when it was in place.
They literally take seconds to put back, if they don't you're doing something wrong.

The trim on the other hand takes a while.