A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 18th October 2011, 10:27 PM

Hiya

As Amar posted, I had this on my S8 shortly after I bought it - I lived with it for a few months while I investigated options. Mine would go into limp mode (red lights on the gear selector display) about every 10 starts - sometimes more regularly, other times not for days/weeks. Seemed to be worse if I had to move it around with a fw trips around the gear selector.

The F125 switch lives up on the side of the gearbox and confirms mechanically what the electronics believe is already happening - it is, frankly, a pain in the arse!

There are supposedly 2 part numbers, depending on which plug you have. Audi can source the correct one based on VIN. From memory the part is about £160.

Fitting it involves dropping the box down off its mounts in situ. One of the downpipes may also have to come off if you're unlucky. Clearance is actually worse on an S8 than an RS6 as the exhaust is routed closer to the box.

My mate did it for me while he was servicing my gearbox, which involved pulling the sump off anyway so he was going to have to move stuff out the way in any case.

Shouldn't be too horrific in cost terms, so if yours sounds similar then it should fix it.

The whole clean it up faffing about didn't appeal to me - especially if the labour on that bill was going to need repeating within the year because it stopped working again!

Adrian
Old 19th October 2011, 02:36 AM

For others reading the thread the AudiPages guide that Steve referred to is here - http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...chreplace.html
and I agree, it does look a bit of a bi*ch of a job!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 19th October 2011, 08:32 AM

The car should be 'driveable', but you never know when it will go into limp. You can still drive it in limp, just not too much ideally

As mentioned above, usually a restart clears it for a bit.

I know.. I know..

Old 19th October 2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Hiya

As Amar posted, I had this on my S8 shortly after I bought it - I lived with it for a few months while I investigated options. Mine would go into limp mode (red lights on the gear selector display) about every 10 starts - sometimes more regularly, other times not for days/weeks. Seemed to be worse if I had to move it around with a fw trips around the gear selector.

Adrian
Adrian,
I read your post this morning but didn't have a chance to reply. It gave me the confidence to take the car. What you've said sounds very similar to my problem.

The car was fine this morning and on the way back home until I reversed into the street. Now 'D' doesn't light up but 'R' and 'P' do. I've not checked since I parked up about 3 hours ago. I'll check it in the morning.

I hope this isn't something else going wrong.
Old 19th October 2011, 09:47 PM

Hmm - strange - mine was either utterly normal or would be all red lights on the DIS. When it does that, it sticks itself in 3rd gear and feels very sluggish at low speed, for obvious reasons!

Mine did occasionally do some other weird stuff, like fail to change gear at all, unless I cycled the ignition so could be related to the failing switch or lack of recent use.

Mine had a wonky climate panel when I bought it in the depths of last winter, but has been absolutely fine in regular use.

If yours does go into limp when getting it moving in the morning, then pull over and cycle the ignition before you continue your journey. Assuming all you then have to do is stick it in D it should function perfectly.

Be worth clearing all the fault codes and checking if there's anything else box-related going on. Mine had a shed load of stored faults, but most must've been ancient as none have come back since they were cleared!
Old 20th October 2011, 07:49 PM

Same thing again today. Fine on the way to and from work until I put it in reverse backing up the road. Still went into drive but doesn't show 'D' on the display.

Only good thing is the 'box feels OK, no different to before it went off the road.

I'll clear the faults at the weekend and see what comes back.

Got to put the lower door trim back on now.

Touch wood these are just teething problems. It's great to be driving her again.