A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 1st March 2012, 06:33 PM

Default Electric window fault !!!!!

Problem with my electric window on my D2 2002 S8 !!!!

My drivers side window has stopped working. I have changed the plugs on the switches to prove the switch is working and it doesn't have a fault, so my question is, where do I go next ?

Any help would be more than appreciated guys !

Thanks in advance !!!!

Ricky !
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:24 PM
Director at A8 Parts

If you have proved the switch is working then I would check and see if you have power getting to the switch.
Can you hear the motor when the switch is pressed or pulled?
If not then the motor could be at fault, if there is some motor noise then it could be the cable that pulls the window up or down has snapped. It is rare however for either of these to fail on the A8 but both are common problems on the A6.
The windows have a 'breaker' type thing that sits under the dash at the driver side. These are supposed to reset themselves if they blow due to a current overload (stuck window for example) but again it would be worth a check before you start dismantling the door. Swap them around and see if the fault moves to another window.

Hope that is some help......
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:15 PM

Hi David,

Many thanks for the reply !

The motor doesn't seem to operate at all but it does sound like a relay or something is switching inside the door as I can hear a click when I press the button for the window to go down. Does that help ?

Cheers mate !

Ricky !
Old 5th March 2012, 10:16 AM
Director at A8 Parts

I would suspect the motor then - if you have a clicking sound then power must be getting to something so that rules out fuses/breakers etc so the problem must be with the motor....

Give us a call and we will sort the right one out for you - you may also want some door card clips (which we have) as at least half of the ones you take out will break (and we can also throw in a quick guide to door card removal and refitting )
Old 11th March 2012, 12:05 PM

Cheers David !!!

Dont suppose you'd post up the door car removal and fitting guide to help others, and also so I can remove all and make 100% sure it is the motor before ordering one from you ?

Regards !

Ricky !
Old 29th March 2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky22buk View Post
Dont suppose you'd post up the door car removal and fitting guide to help others,
Was the door card removal guide posted? - I've checked the "interior sticky and see no sign of it? I have several clips missing and also need to replace the seat memory module.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:10 PM
Staff at A8 Parts

Default Door card removal guide

Please see the attached document which I hope will help
Attached Files
File Type: doc Audi A8 Door Car Removal.doc (20.5 KB, 582 views)
Old 29th March 2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl@a8parts View Post
Please see the attached document which I hope will help
Many thanks. order for door clips follows!!
Old 16th May 2012, 10:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys......

Only got round to having a look at this the yesterday. I believe there are two inputs to the electric motor. One from the door switch, and one from the key itself (valet mode). I have 12v at the switch and am also getting the 12v on the up and down wires at the motor yet it won't operate at all. It does click but the motor never appears to try to move.

Yet having said that, when I go to open the car and press the unlock button on my key for a few seconds all the windows go down. Press the lock button on the key for a few seconds and they all go up again. So the motor seems to work ok in valet mode, but not with the switch, so I'm guessing I do need a motor after all ?

Am I right guys ???????

Cheers !
Old 17th May 2012, 08:16 AM

Sounds like the motor... Or more accurately something inside the motor electrics.

I know.. I know..