A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 7th March 2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Guys,

Just replaced my fixed Audi/Motorola phone kit with the bluetooth module from Audi. Not the rSAP unit by the looks of it, but still better than the one in the car as it wouldn't read any of the SIM modules I had (read my Dad's ancient Virgin SIM, so was actually working).

Anyway the kit I was supplied with had some cables attached and a 36-pin unit within the 54-pin connector for the module, the BT aerial and some MOST cables which it turns out I didn't need as I already had a kit in the car.

Fitting was relatively simple once I'd found the correct wiring diagram (thanks to Figure11 for pointing me to erWin) as all the documentation I could find on the web was for the US OnStar to BT conversions which have different pinouts.

Procedure:

1 - Unbolt the passenger seat. it doesn't need to be removed completely, just tilted back out the way (put the backrest forward and lift the seat base up to max for best clearance), you may need to wind the seat forward and back to access the bolts (T50).

2 - Remove the plastic trim along the kick plate next to the door. This just lifts up then pulls up and towards the back of the car.

3 - Unclip the seat power cable from the guide at the bottom of the seat.

4 - Pull the carpet forward from the air vent under the seat a bit, it's split at that point already, being careful not to strain the power feed for the chair which goes through a hole in the carpet about 6 inches in front of the split.Then lift the carpet from the door side.

5 - Unclip the seat power from the holder under the carpet and push the carpet back towards the central column (using the seat rails to hold it out the way).

6 - the Car Kit is in the box to the far left nearest the door hinges, pop it open and disconnect all the cables.

7 - Get the 36-pin connector for the BT kit, and the 42-pin connector for the old kit side by side and pop the followin pins from the old connector into the new positions on the old connector leaving the rest behind.

OLD - NEW
33 - 14 - Diagnostics
42 - 11 - MIC +
41 - 12 - MIC -
15 - 10 - Terminal 31 (or Earth to the rest of us)
16 - 2 - Terminal 31
35 - 1 - Terminal 30 (or +12V for real people)

Pin 3 on the new connector is a 'remote on' for the aerial amplifier which I don't think I have as there was no associated cable on the old kit as it had a built in unit.

8 - Connect it all back up: BT aerial, MOST loop, 54-pin

9 - Test! Sit back in shock that it actually worked

10 - Re-assemble. - Close the unit's box, refit the carpet while clipping the seat power cable back in, put the door trim on (be careful not to break the clips!) and re-bolt the seat down.

11 - Enjoy your new bluetooth car kit.

It's a hoot with the SDS module, taking 5 minutes to dial a number Much quicker with the turney knob thingy or just use the phone to do it.

Still to do:

- Remove the old phone handset from the centre console.
- Fit some USB sockets in there to charge my phones so I don't have the cable trailing around.
Good guide, do you have any picture of the install or module and wiring etc ? How much was the Bluetooth box ?
Old 8th March 2015, 09:21 AM

I ran each of the 3 update CDs twice but none of them found any modules that needed updating - more worryingly was that none of them reported the telephone module.

Last edited by zed_thirteen; 8th March 2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 8th March 2015, 05:14 PM

It's possible that the unit has been fried by a previous update (some of the earlier ones had a tendency to fry the BT unit).

Was it verified working previously? (and you've definitely connected the diagnostic wire to the correct terminal?)

I know.. I know..

Old 8th March 2015, 05:43 PM

I just bought it off eBay trusting it to be a working unit. I'm 100% certain I wired the unit correctly. I used to be electronics engineer and now software engineer. You can verify my wiring in the link in my earlier message

When I get to the "Current Config" menu it lists all of the devices except the telephone on the first page. The second page is listing"(0xFFFFFFFF) which I think is this fried unit.

When I reconfigure for my factory installed Motorola system the (0xFFFFFFFF) device is no longer listed and my phone is listed on the first screen
Old 17th March 2015, 04:59 PM

Default Which modules can I use

Hi guys,

I never got to the bottom of whether the module I was trying to install was faulty or just not compatible with my car. I have returned it and been refunded.

I am now looking for another unit and would appreciate some advice on which type of unit I want.

My car has this type of module:

the module I was trying to install was like this:

which I think is the Bluetooth Hands Free Profile.

I've also seen this alternative type of module:

which I think is the Bluetooth rSAP module.

Can the existing yellow Bluetooth aerial connection from my unit be used for both or does it need to be the aerial that plugs directly onto the unit? I think they are the same but the original is just remote located to the back of centre console.

If I were to install the rSAP type module could I use the existing purple aerial cable from my old system?

I want to get it right next time. Found a dealer that has both types and need to know what to order. I don't want to order the rSAP one in my aerial amp unit isn't suitable.

Which part numbers can be used and which should be avoided? I think I have to avoid anything that doesn't have the MOST connector installed.

Cheers
David
Old 17th March 2015, 10:31 PM

I used 4E0862335 module

Which looks like the second picture.

It came with a Bluetooth antenna which is a little circuit board antenna plugged into the module.

The existing tan and purple antenna plugs left over from the Motorola module were not used in my install.

I had no issues with my BT module, it was working in 5 mins. After I did a software update, my iphone phonebook started working and downloaded into the directory.

It cost me about $200 AUD including postage I think for the module and antenna.

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 18th March 2015, 12:41 PM

Just realised my iPhone doesn't support rSAP and not all of the rSAP modules support HFP.

think I'll play safe and go for the non-rSAP HFP only module

Thanks for advice though
Old 18th March 2015, 12:58 PM

http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i=cat_vag_models
Old 19th March 2015, 07:47 PM

Turns out it was a faulty unit. I had another one today. Installed it within 5 minutes and worked straight away
Old 19th March 2015, 09:05 PM

Jeepers.
Glad you fixed it - how annoying in the first place.