A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 21st January 2016, 11:58 AM

I would say Snap D has more knowledge than me in this field , im really not sure which adaptation gets the rest pump working , hopefully he will be along at some point and give you a lift .

Keep at it mate is a great function , mine did a 30 min run this morning before i got in the car ...... it was lovely and toasty inside hehe
Old 21st January 2016, 12:09 PM

You know what - I am doubting what I said, because today it was timed to come on and the car was cold. The times when it was warmed up is when I went out before breakfast and without turning on ignition I held the on/off button on the HVAC controls until it came on, set both side to HI and locked up and went back inside. When I do this it is very warm 20 minutes later, but doesn't seem to be the case when on the timer - it comes on but seems to have little effect.
Not enough fuel to test now it is disabled when the low fuel warning is on.
Old 21st January 2016, 04:42 PM

I use the "Set Up" button on the HVAC control.
Rotate the right hand knob to select "Aux Heater On" and the Webasto fires up.
Snap, I'll try your way on Sunday. I have an early start in the bus and nobody else will need the car.
When I use the timer the Webasto fires but does not "toasty" the car, but the engine and heater seems to do the warm up much quicker. But then that is what the Aux Heater is for, until you add the extra pump and plumbing.
Nothing to do with this thread/forum but I have a night heater under the bus and this operates on it's own timer but all it does is blow a small amount of warm air into the bus. It makes ice on the windows much softer that then clears with the wipers. Certainly takes the edge of the temperature. In a smaller vehicle/cab it would be good.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 21st January 2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
The times when it was warmed up is when I went out before breakfast and without turning on ignition I held the on/off button on the HVAC controls until it came on, set both side to HI and locked up and went back inside.
So this is using the "rest" pump and the aux heater then? How does that work yet the aux heater on the timer doesn't work? I don't understand. Or is it down to your extra adaptions Snap? I might try that now.... see what mine does. Surely it will just set the pipes gurgling again won't it?
Old 21st January 2016, 08:11 PM

Auxiliary Heater water pump is mounted to the Webasto unit so the water pump is right near where it needs to be efficient to get the water flow up to the heater matrix .

The rest pump is there to allow the heater to give warm air when the engine has been switched off , but it must be able to get some flow through the aux heater and stopping the water from boiling up ....just some flow will be enough to stop the water from boiling and getting the flow into the heater matrix core
Old 21st January 2016, 09:40 PM

Interesting. So do I need the aux heater set to on or will it come on on its own when I turn the hvac on via the on off button? This could be a reasonable solution by the sound of it. Will have a play in the morning. And this works on a cold car with the ignition off?
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:33 AM

A day earlier than planned but a neighbours bloody house alarm woke me up.
I tried the "On/Off Button" method, when the HVAC lit I up turned the temp up to "HI". Locked the car and went indoors for a cuppa.
Waited twenty minutes, went out and could hear the blowers turning but no Webasto. The car was cold.
Turned ignition on and used the "Setup" button to turn the "Aux Heater" to "ON". Turned ignition off and tried the "On/Off" method again. As before the blowers started but this time the Webasto fired up.
Went for another cuppa.
Back outside found the blowers turning, Webasto off and a cold car.
Today temperature is much warmer than it has been.
I guess the only way forward is to do the Webasto pump mod. Any spare cash someone, pretty please?

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
A day earlier than planned but a neighbours bloody house alarm woke me up.
I tried the "On/Off Button" method, when the HVAC lit I up turned the temp up to "HI". Locked the car and went indoors for a cuppa.
Waited twenty minutes, went out and could hear the blowers turning but no Webasto. The car was cold.
Maybe that requires adaptation channel 19 to 0? Start aux heater when required by hvac set temp.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd January 2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:30 AM

After a weekend of tests. I conclude that mine does not heat the car at all when running on timer for 30 mins.
Even on HI.

It heats the car nicely from stone cold if I go out and hold the hvac on/off button until it lights up and turn the temps up to high.

In both cases, the small symbol flashes in the clock on the speedo.
While I would like to fit the £60 additional pump. I doubt I will but for me it is no problem to just go out before breakfast and manually turn it on if the weather requires it.

Last edited by snapdragon; 25th January 2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:56 AM

Thanks Snap. I will give your adaptions a try and just use that myself too. I too don't mind just popping out 15-20 mins before leaving in the morning. The pump maybe something I'd do eventually though.