A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 8th May 2011, 01:30 PM

Default Higher mileage D2 S8's

Hi folks

I'm after a D2 S8 with a budget of £6K. The majority of the ones I have seen on Autotrader, Pistonheads, etc have over 100k miles on them but I have seen a few lower mileage ones (70-80k miles) for sale. I've never bought a car with this kind of mileage on it before so I'm obviously a bit concerned about things going wrong. I've read that the 4.2 engine is bulletproof. Is this true?? Am I just worrying over nothing as long as the timing belt has been changed and serviced as per Audi schedule??

Any comments and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

James
Old 8th May 2011, 02:27 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Your right on the engine. 100k is not big mileage at all if it's been serviced properly. I have heard of several over 250K and one with over 400K on it. The timing belt must be done every 80k and it must have had the proper oil.

The transmission though can be a different story. Audi do not service the transmission as they claim it is sealed for life. Remember, life to Audi is until the warranty runs out. If the box is silky smooth and less than 100k you may wish to leave well alone until it shows signs of trouble then do a filter and fluid change. If it's less than 80k you could well benefit from a regular service of filter and fluid every 20k. Over 125k is when they generally start to fail if they are going to. We have a number of examples on here of big mileage boxes, but I think they are the exception.

Personally if I had a high milage transmission I would start a service routine and if it percipitated a transmission fail by disturbing something then I would pay for a rebuild from a reputable transmission specilist and get the guarantees that go with it. These cars are good value and if your handy with a spanner, reasonable for the level of comfort and performance to run.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:49 PM

Hi Conan

Firstly, all the best with the new S8. I saw that one on Autotrader last week but was unable to contact the seller as the telephone number was a number short. Secondly, thanks for your comprehensive response to my post.

Some more questions if you could please help me out:

1. What oil grade does the S8 use?
2. Is the filter and oil change on the transmission a job that the garage I use could do? What is involved in doing the oil/filter change?
3. What kind of money are you looking at for a rebuild?

Many thanks

James
Old 9th May 2011, 07:27 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James7 View Post
Hi Conan

Firstly, all the best with the new S8. I saw that one on Autotrader last week but was unable to contact the seller as the telephone number was a number short. Secondly, thanks for your comprehensive response to my post.

Some more questions if you could please help me out:

1. What oil grade does the S8 use?
2. Is the filter and oil change on the transmission a job that the garage I use could do? What is involved in doing the oil/filter change?
3. What kind of money are you looking at for a rebuild?

Many thanks

James
1. There is a bit of a debate going on about this but you can't go wrong with the Audi own brand of Quantum Synata. Read this thread here.

2. If they are handy with a spanner, then yes, the basic transmission fluid change is not difficult just a bit of a pain the first time. Here is a 'how-to' to give to them. Read this so you have all the information you need.

3. Depends how reputable and capable the company is. Expect to pay between £800 and £1500. For the upper area you will likely get a 2 year 24k guarantee. Chester Autos are highly recommended on here. Give them a ring for a price. Any ZF approved dealer will also give you peace of mind. They are here.

HTH

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:04 AM

Hi Conan

Thanks again for all your help.

James
Old 10th May 2011, 08:12 AM

Hi There,

I'd say they are great cars and great value. However don't expect to spend £4-8k on a £65k 10yr old motor car and expect it to be maintinance free !

My S8 has had issues with the timing chain variators, it seems these are prone to wear. My car was 135k when the 1st one went and 165k when the second one did. There may have been issues here when I bought it, but the engine was smooth. Lambdas/Oxygen sensors are a service part in the 80-120k and probably a Maf sensor too. And the belts have been mentioned. If you do the belts high mileage, it may be worth popping the covers off and looking at the variators as you need the front off for the passenger side one, which is half the expense of changing them. Silly resin wear shoes and an 5p O ring seal that means a £350 part!

Brakes are pretty easy to do, particularly the front pads. The rears need a wind in tool and i wouldn't skimp there or you'll need a new gator/caliper - You also get seized parts and Aluminium while it doesn't rust it does exfoiliate, which can be as bad if not worse in some cases.

Handy with a spanner is good....or willing to pay someone else. I'd count on 1-2k running costs a year, but thats pretty good value really.

cya,
Lee