A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 11th April 2009, 06:02 AM
guinea

Cool Newbie..needs help

Good morning everyone and hello,my names matt and ive just purchased myself a A8 4.2 quattro sport on a s (98) reg in black...

Very impressed with the power but i have a lot of questions..

1.the paintworks good but could do with a good deep buff.????

2.the handbrake needs adjusting

3.got the standard wheels and i was looking at 18s but can 19s fit without work to the bodywork

4.exhausts...to compiment that super sweet V8

5.glove box needs replacing as it is broken

6.only one key fob

7.what else to look out for

I would be gratefull if any one has any answers
Apart from these questions i love this car.....we also have a A4 1.9tdi on a 53 plate from new....allways wanted an A8
Old 11th April 2009, 08:20 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinea View Post
Good morning everyone and hello,my names matt and ive just purchased myself a A8 4.2 quattro sport on a s (98) reg in black...

Very impressed with the power but i have a lot of questions..

1.the paintworks good but could do with a good deep buff.????

2.the handbrake needs adjusting

3.got the standard wheels and i was looking at 18s but can 19s fit without work to the bodywork

4.exhausts...to compiment that super sweet V8

5.glove box needs replacing as it is broken

6.only one key fob

7.what else to look out for

I would be gratefull if any one has any answers
Apart from these questions i love this car.....we also have a A4 1.9tdi on a 53 plate from new....allways wanted an A8
Matt,

Welcome to the forum, hope you find us friendly and informative. have you had a good look round? There is an owners meet in June in the Meets section, the Audi 8 Owners Club (A8oc) section and lots of information on your car in the various sub sections. To answer some of your questions....

1. Have a read of the sticky in the spotless section. Plenty of useful info there.

2. You may wish to invest in a copy of ElsaWin which is available on EBay or use the Audi on-line maintenance manual here.

3. For wheels and tyre combinations go here.

4. Exhaust upgrades are commented on a lot. Try here or here or come to the meet and see what can be done for yourself.

5. Glove Box Repair is the on-line manual or Elsawin. Spares can be got from A8Parts here.

6. Key blanks are easy to find and get cut. Coding is a different matter. Ask the question in the D2 Common Problems section.

7. If you get some pictures and the cars spec up in the gallery, peeps with a similar spec will give you some hints and tips.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 11th April 2009, 07:26 PM
entwisi

The any other bit you asked about...

Gearboxes... THE bain of our lives, have a read about and you will be ina total mind mush as to what to do next. I'm realing from a 2.5K rebuild, others also have major issues, what to do about it is a current matter of discussion.
Old 12th April 2009, 05:22 AM
guinea

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
The any other bit you asked about...

Gearboxes... THE bain of our lives, have a read about and you will be ina total mind mush as to what to do next. I'm realing from a 2.5K rebuild, others also have major issues, what to do about it is a current matter of discussion.

OOOhh eerrrr...dont scare me yet chap....mind you i did buy from a dealer and paid extra for a years warranty...so its piece of mind for a year

How much will it cost to get the 8 buffed,detailed (sorry dont know what the terms called)
Brought some Brand new RS8 Alloys on 18s yesterday couldnt quite stretch to 19s...ill post some pictures in the week.
At present its a black 4.2 quattro sport (98) S with black sports leather interior and sitting on standard 18s....
I was going to wait and purchase some 19s or 20s but shes in need of two tyres now so i might aswell get new wheels tyrespackage as there quite reasonable....paid £520 delivered ..boots are 235/50/18 is that good ...???

Any idea of cost to get the handbrake done....you pull it up and its as slack as clowns pocket
Old 12th April 2009, 07:37 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

To get the car machined polished by a quality detailer, expect to pay somewhere in the region of £150 to £200 if the paint is in poor condition. It's a difficult one to call as it depends on the condition of the paint at the start. These cars are big and the paint is rock hard. For a full detail expect to pay around £300 to £350 (engine bay, inside, wheel arches etc)

As for your tyres, 245/45-18 is the norm for 18" wheels. Your 235/50 will mean you are travelling 2%faster for a given speedo reading over the standard tyre. Better fuel economy, slower acceleration, more comfortable.

Don't worry to much about your gearbox, the forums generally only attract enthusiasts and those with problems so we see a higher count of tranny problems here anyway. I would have a close read of your warranty though and ensure it covers fair wear and tear as well as mechanical failure, especially if its a high mileage car.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.