A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th July 2012, 06:23 AM

Default 2nd MoT passed but....

....there was an advisory on front N/S & O/S Anti Roll bar bushes.

Worn but not yet a fail or words to that effect. I'd think any movement would be a fail. 2 tonnes of car will move the rubber a lot more that a tech with a lever.

The car does 'tramp' a bit on drains and broken up back road surfaces. It never used to and I was hoping this would be fixed at MoT time. Usually the Dealer would want to do that. I should have told them but was worrried that would be a licence for them to print money.

I can't see it being a claim on my extended Warranty as it would be classed as wear & tear. Only 48k miles and 5 years old now though.

Any thoughts from the Panel?
Old 18th July 2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
..... I'd think any movement would be a fail. 2 tonnes of car will move the rubber a lot more that a tech with a lever.

I too am surprised. My son's Honda CR-V (1998) has had the roll bar bushes front and back picked up (and replaced) at at last years (front) and then this years (back). The point as discussed with the local indy garage owner was that any play detectable by the mechanic would/should result in a fail for exactly the same reason that you highlight above. and, lo and behold, the noises he had been experiencing ceased on replacement!
Old 18th July 2012, 10:57 AM

Movement wouldn't be a fail. Because even brand new, there WILL be movement evident - we are talking about a rubber bush, after all.

It all depends on how excessive the movement is, but generally, advisory only.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 20th August 2012, 01:30 PM

Here's an update on the advisory as noted earlier.

I decided to put the car in for repairs today and the Dealer's Technician has just phoned to say the 'C' links are both U/S and need changed ASAP.

I said there had been an advisory re 'antiroll bar' at MoT time.

He said, yes, that's the same parts.

Some research tells me the D3 does not have an Antiroll Bar - no connection side to side - it's all done with the air system.

Is he correct? How come they are U/S now and only an advisory a month ago?

Is it because the first MoT was accompanied by a guarantee to pass the next one or they would pay for the parts.....?

Am I cynical? Moi? Probably

Last edited by sloss; 20th August 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Research done....
Old 20th August 2012, 03:24 PM

If they did both, then I'd certainly be asking the question. If it's an advisory, then it's expected to last to the next MOT given normal wear and tear usually. A month is very short... Give em hell

I know.. I know..

Old 20th August 2012, 04:47 PM

Lets be honest a lot and i mean a lot of people in the motor trade are corrupt, con artists with little or no conscious about who they take money from. If you can find someone you trust stick with them.

I don't know about D3 but if thats rigght it not having a ARB I’d definitely be off down to the work shop (leave shotgun on passenger seat) asking at full voice how the car has got advisories on parts for components it doesn’t have and make sure other customers can hear you, mention rip off artist and may the fleas of a thousand dogs infest your armpits anything to get attention of other potential customers.

Also don’t forget that like a lot of these types of things now it’s down to the tester’s discretion and if he or she is a retard you’ve had it. But would be difficult to fail a car on stuff it doesn’t have.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 20th August 2012, 05:23 PM

I've now had a look in Elsawin and it does have an Anti Roll Bar - however the parts replaced are the 'C Links - I've had a squint underneath. The ARB looks like a normal one with 2 U type clamps to the body.

Does this mean the bushes 'advised' in the MoT are still at 'advised' status?

I'm still confused so will call the Service Manager tomorrow.
Old 20th August 2012, 05:27 PM

There is definitely antiroll bars on D3 both front and rear. As for the condition of c-links in down to tester opinion, it's not black and white.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 20th August 2012, 06:31 PM

The bushes for the ARB are not available to purchase separately, you have to buy a complete ARB with new bushes attached

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 21st August 2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
The bushes for the ARB are not available to purchase separately, you have to buy a complete ARB with new bushes attached
I was charged for 'C' Links x 2 - total job about £150.

So do I still needing an ARB repair or not. MoT says ARB Bushes but the Tech yesterday said, yes, that's what we've fixed!

Confused, moi, oui