A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 1st March 2015, 11:02 PM

Default Another interesting gearbox fault.

Evening all,

I have a gearbox issue I hope someone may be able to shed some light on, i'll try to describe it accurately. I'll also say that I'm a mechanic by trade but I have zero A8 or ZF trans experience.

Basically my daily journey is half B road and half on the M1. When the car is warmed up I slow down for the villages and the gearbox thumps/jolts down the gears, not every shift mainly the higher gears around 40mph. On the M1 it is absolutely fine with no jolt when I use kick down to shift. When I pull onto the slip road the inevitable jolt comes.
If I drive in S instead of D I have no issue at all, its like the higher revs sort it out.
Sometimes when stationary it also jolts as I move the selector into D or R.

In the couple of months I've owned the car I've changed the trans oil along with a new filter in the sump. I didn't find any nasty chunks on the magnets or burning in the oil.
I also changed the air mass meter as these can cause all sorts of auto trans issues.
The F125 selector position switch also needed changing to sort a 01119 fault in the abs fault memory. (pig of a job!!!)
All parts used were genuine.

The only re-occuring fault I have in the memories is the engine saying that both cats are defective, this has only came about since the air mass meter replacement.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's like it doesn't know when to shift so the jolt is the torque convertor trying to catch up?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd March 2015, 05:09 PM

Mine does the same, specifically when dropped from 4th to third when i slow down - yet curiously, only when the car is warmed up. When its cold, its smooth as ever.
Old 2nd March 2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Mine does the same, specifically when dropped from 4th to third when i slow down - yet curiously, only when the car is warmed up. When its cold, its smooth as ever.
I think mine is 5th to 4th but could be the same as yours. The warming up and ok in S position makes me think it isn't a major gearbox issue. Does yours still do it in S position?
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_s View Post
The F125 selector position switch also needed changing to sort a 01119 fault in the abs fault memory. (pig of a job!!!)
There has been many a discussion about the infamous "01119 - Gear Recognition Signal (Intermittent)" in ABS and at least one person here has solved it by cleaning the abs rings and detectors.
Did you have any other symptoms other than the code in memory and why did you decide to replace the F125 switch?

I ask because I get this code and occasional "oddness" in terms of a variable throttle response, but no obvious link between them.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
There has been many a discussion about the infamous "01119 - Gear Recognition Signal (Intermittent)" in ABS and at least one person here has solved it by cleaning the abs rings and detectors.
Did you have any other symptoms other than the code in memory and why did you decide to replace the F125 switch?

I ask because I get this code and occasional "oddness" in terms of a variable throttle response, but no obvious link between them.
I should have explained it better, I had the 01119 stored all the time. Even after cancelling it would return after every journey. The trans module eventually gave me a similar fault reading which was for the f125 switch. Neither code has come back since i replaced it.
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The trans module eventually gave me a similar fault reading which was for the f125 switch.
OK, thanks, not my situation.
If I clear the 01119 error it comes back "sooner or later" (usually sooner) but not after every journey.
And I have no other codes and no warning lights.

Do you recall what the TCU error was?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
OK, thanks, not my situation.
If I clear the 01119 error it comes back "sooner or later" (usually sooner) but not after every journey.
And I have no other codes and no warning lights.

Do you recall what the TCU error was?
It seems to be a pain, i've just been researching 01119. I can't see how the speed senders can be connected to this fault but you never know.

The fault was 17090 Trans range sender f125 implausible signal. This ties in perfectly with 01119 as the abs unit can't understand the gear selection position. When I replaced it I thought that the state of the connector was more to blame than the f125 itself. Worth a loom at the connector first as the f125 is an awful job even on a ramp.
Old 3rd March 2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
the state of the connector was more to blame than the f125 itself. Worth a loom (look?) at the connector first as the f125 is an awful job even on a ramp.
Yes, I've (along with others) looked at just about everything posted online about these issues and corrosion in the connector seems to be something to look at, and if possible deal with, first.