A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 29th May 2011, 01:43 PM

Default Vas 5054

Anybody using VAS5054? Apparently this is the diagnostics that dealers are now using instead of older VAG1552. It is PC based software that work on any PC and VAS5054A diagnostic interface connected to PC using bluetooth or USB. Includes also guided fault finding.

I have sourced the software but do not have interface. There are some chinese copies on e-bay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAS-5054A-VW-A...ht_4670wt_1139

But £100 is a bit expensive considering that I already have chinese usb interface with VCDS and torque on android with ELM 327 bluetooth adapter.
Old 29th May 2011, 02:24 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

How much is the software? Could be a cheaper option to VCDS if you are just starting out.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 29th May 2011, 06:03 PM

Many functions of things like guided fault finding may not work if you have no GECO link (the dealer link to audi). That is EXPENSIVE!!

VAS has been windows based for a few years now but interface always going to be an issue as the cables only fit in the VAS machines, its just they run on an old version of windows (NT I think).

Worth a look without doubt but be careful you don't spend a fortune on something that don't work 100%.
Old 29th May 2011, 07:21 PM

I got soft for "free". There are also soft CD's included in the link in ebay but they are only version 15, I got 18.

It is bluetooth for use as wireless or with a optional USB cable. Should work on any PC not sure about Windows versions though.
It must be older VAS like 5052 that used proprietary cables.

It is 2.9 GB in total with data for Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda so lot of guided fault finding should be local. I Do not have CD's for Bentley and Lamborghini.
I will install it later and have a look through it if it lets to do anything without connection to car.

Not looking to buy as I already have chinese USB lead which work with VCDS and VWtool and also ELM327 bluetooth chinese copy with torque on android. Just though to post my findings here so people know there are alternatives and to see if anybody used it and could provide some feedback. Guided fault finding should be a nice additional feature.
Old 7th June 2011, 04:42 PM

It's a clone and get the right one they work fine

The cheaper ones don't though

You need a Base V18 disc, then plug each sector of the VAG range. GFF works off the discs now too All runs fine on Windows 7.

But... VAGCOM is better due to long coding helper etc. etc.
Old 12th June 2011, 12:23 PM

I have the base disc, updates and data discs for VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat.
Does not work on W7 for me either 32 or 64 bit. Xp works fine but I do not have adapter so cannot test full functionality but at least it starts up on XP.

About being a clone , many people say VAGCOM or ELM327 clones does not work or give problems but they work just fine for me. Only thing I had to do was to change serial port latency from 16ms to 2ms to get it work properly. Default is 16ms but that is slow and was giving me problems with some functions like gearbox coding and service resetting. With the genuine lead I might be able to change it to 1ms and get a faster communication but that is about it.

I am not looking to buy as I already have VAGCOM and ELM327 copies but if I did not have any I would probably buy VAS5054A copy.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:02 AM

Just use USB with it Bluetooth is pants.