A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 31st January 2014, 02:29 PM

Default Brake Pad Transfer

After fitting some Pagid Discs and pads I have found them to be poor in braking and also now rough as old boots.

It feels through the pedal that some pad has transferred onto the disc and the brake now feels a little rough.

Braking performance is poor, they get hot too quickly and just sound a little nasty also.

Now, I have tried a few 120 to 0 stops to "Clean things up a little", this has had some success but not ideal.

What are peoples Discs/ Pads of choice as I an happy just to replace and get something better.
Old 31st January 2014, 02:51 PM

I put EBC green stuff in my Audi Quattro they were really good and no black brake dust but not sure how they will perform in a bigger A8
When my A8 pads get low I will be trying them
Old 31st January 2014, 03:18 PM

I found this a useful read. Pad material has to transfer to disk face to some extent, that's how brakes work. Its uneven transfer that's the problem.
I would recommend, never stay in D with foot on brake at the lights. Never let car 'roll onto' front brakes (in P) when left overnight, always stop it with handbrake first.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 18th February 2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I would recommend, never stay in D with foot on brake at the lights. Never let car 'roll onto' front brakes (in P) when left overnight, always stop it with handbrake first.
Just wanted to say thanks for this advice Goran. I park on a slight incline on my drive and have always just left it in park, with no handbrake on. I've started pulling the handbrake on first and the difference is noticeable when engaging reverse gear to back off the drive. There's now no sign of a "shunt" when it engages (I'm assuming leaving it at rest in park on a slight incline was putting soem stresses on some parts?) and I'm hoping using the handbrake regularly will prevent the usual siezures on the rear callipers which are only a few months old

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 21st February 2014, 03:14 PM

Glad to help. I hope its the right advice. It worked for me, definitely reduced the brake squeaking when setting off and in general, and no 'warped' discs in over 5 years of driving.

Tags
uic