A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 2nd December 2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Glad to know all was resolved. Will be cleaning f125 connector contacts on my car to fix 01119 error preventively. If it won't help will change the whole switch. Epic thread.

Edit: Is the electrical connector of F125 switch easily accessible?
(I wanted to start from replacing only the connector to new and then replacing the full switch if it does't help?)
I think the connector on the fly lead is easy to get at, several people have opened it up and checked/cleaned the contacts with mixed results. The problem I and others have had is wear/corrosion on the moving parts INSIDE the switch.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:48 AM

Understood. Will change the full switch then.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:47 AM

Sergei, you are not known for doing half-hearted jobs Given the construction of the switch (see my thread with photos) it doesnt give the impression that a squirt of electrical cleaner or any other form of repair would do the business. With mine, one (at least) of the contactors was damaged. It MIGHT have been possible to have built it up with solder but i wouldnt have given tuppence for it lasting. The F125 switch is £153 (IIRC) + VAT so it should give you peace of mind for another 100k
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:25 AM

Went to order the switch. Cheers David.
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Given the construction of the switch (see my thread with photos) it doesnt give the impression that a squirt of electrical cleaner or any other form of repair would do the business. With mine, one (at least) of the contactors was damaged. It MIGHT have been possible to have built it up with solder but i wouldnt have given tuppence for it lasting.
Agreed. Cleaning the inside of mine has solved the problem for now, but its not a long term solution as the contacts are clearly wearing away. I was curious so it was worth a try but I have no idea how long it will last. It may be another 100K, but it may be a few weeks. Certainly if you have to pay a garage 4-5 hours to do the job there is no point whatsoever in skimping on £180 for a new switch.
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Another 3 days, a few more trips, still behaving and still no 01119 error
And another week has passed without incident . Clean VCDS scan - well apart from a low voltage in the alarm siren.
So as I said earlier:
Quote:
I'm seriously convinced that all those comments about cleaning ABS sensors etc. are just coincidental and that the real cause of the 01119 error is a worn F125 switch.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Agreed. Cleaning the inside of mine has solved the problem for now,
I did wonder, but forgot to ask yesterday. Just assumed as you turned up in the S8 to tow another away that it was behaving itself.
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
And another week has passed without incident . Clean VCDS scan - well apart from a low voltage in the alarm siren.
So as I said earlier:
glad to hear you got this sorted Andrew

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 8th December 2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:

2. Pulling out of a side road and accelerating the car only speeds up "gently" not "urgently" as I expect. No ABS/ESP warnings or symptoms. Only seen within the first minute or so of driving the car and not always by any means.
Interestingly, since having 'mended' my F125, mine is now doing this most of the time. The first 50% of the throttle does very little, but prod it a bit further and it takes off like a rocket. It happens mostly in 1st which is very annoying, but also randomly in other gears. If I'm in town pootling around at 30 and slow down for something it'll take a hefty prod to make it move, at which point it changes down to 2nd and goes a bit nuts. Its much better behaved in tiptronic, to the point I had to tow the FE home entirely in tip otherwise it would barely move. No codes either.

Time for a new switch methinks...
Old 8th December 2016, 11:08 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The first 50% of the throttle does very little, but prod it a bit further and it takes off like a rocket. It happens mostly in 1st which is very annoying, but also randomly in other gears. If I'm in town pootling around at 30 and slow down for something it'll take a hefty prod to make it move, at which point it changes down to 2nd and goes a bit nuts.
Check your brake pedal switch too. Had a similar problem with mine a few years ago, turned out to be iffy brake pedal switch contacts. I noticed the fault would tend to occur more after firm braking and tapping/wiggling the brake pedal before setting off again seemed to alleviate it.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 8th December 2016 at 11:37 AM.