A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 5th October 2015, 01:42 PM

Default A8 High mileage

Hi everyone

Looking for a D3 tdi and have about 4k-6k to spend but have seen a lot of high milage cars on the usual sites just want your advice on buying a high miler.

I personally think it would be ok having high mileage providing the service history was good

thanks for any info
Old 5th October 2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathedral60 View Post
Hi everyone

Looking for a D3 tdi and have about 4k-6k to spend but have seen a lot of high milage cars on the usual sites just want your advice on buying a high miler.

I personally think it would be ok having high mileage providing the service history was good

thanks for any info
you always worry about high mileage cars , maybe a bit of throw bacl to the days when a 100K was the end of a cars life, these days its a bit different , mine has nearly 140K and still going strong, if its been looked after it probably doesnt matter anymore.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 5th October 2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
you always worry about high mileage cars , maybe a bit of throw bacl to the days when a 100K was the end of a cars life, these days its a bit different , mine has nearly 140K and still going strong, if its been looked after it probably doesnt matter anymore.
See that's they way I'm looking at it, over here in Ireland the cars with lowish miles can be found, but no where near the spec that you would find on the mainland.
I've seen ones on gumtree etc that fall in my price range have service history but mileage is around the 180k mark so never having had a D3 not sure what kind of miles these engines can take comfortably.

this is one i've taken a shine to

https://www.gumtree.com/p/audi/audi-...d-s/1136248228

Last edited by cathedral60; 5th October 2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 5th October 2015, 04:55 PM

if this is defo the type of car you want, i would buy a vcds cable and do a scan on any prospective car, at least you will get an idea on anything obvious or lurking
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 5th October 2015, 04:55 PM

I sold my last one with 175K on the clock a few months ago to another forum member, I have no doubts it will continue to go for a long way yet!
Old 5th October 2015, 06:56 PM

thanks guys, will be bringing a mechanic with the scanner to what ever car i get to see.

Out of interest is there any members cars for sale around that price?
Old 5th October 2015, 07:24 PM

I would not be afraid of high miles on a 3.0TDI D3, I had a 2004 one for 5 years, bought it with 60k and it had 230k on it when I bought a D4. It was serviced every 10k miles from new. I had the ATF changed at 60k/120k/180k as a precaution but gearbox never gave any problems. Other than routine servicing, the car got one rear wheel bearing, an egr valve and 2 sets of glowplugs over its lifetime.
My advice would be to find a car with as few owners as possible rather than looking at the odometer. People that hang on to their cars for several years generally look after them in my experience.
Southern Ireland might be worth a look if you can find one, the €1494 road tax on pre 2008 cars makes them pretty hard to sell on. Sterling/Euro rate is quite favourable and you can claim a VRT rebate for permanent export.
Happy Hunting.
Old 5th October 2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
I would not be afraid of high miles on a 3.0TDI D3, I had a 2004 one for 5 years, bought it with 60k and it had 230k on it when I bought a D4. It was serviced every 10k miles from new. I had the ATF changed at 60k/120k/180k as a precaution but gearbox never gave any problems. Other than routine servicing, the car got one rear wheel bearing, an egr valve and 2 sets of glowplugs over its lifetime.
My advice would be to find a car with as few owners as possible rather than looking at the odometer. People that hang on to their cars for several years generally look after them in my experience.
Southern Ireland might be worth a look if you can find one, the €1494 road tax on pre 2008 cars makes them pretty hard to sell on. Sterling/Euro rate is quite favourable and you can claim a VRT rebate for permanent export.
Happy Hunting.
thanks it makes sense
the south cars tend to be fine but low spec, the english cars seem to have more goodies

Last edited by cathedral60; 5th October 2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 6th October 2015, 07:27 AM

My D3 is on 240,000 miles. The reg no. is OV55 Y?? like the one in the Gumtree ad. The poor english on the ad would make me dubious. When I was looking for my A8, I must have been to see 3-4 A6s around the country (actually all around London) being sold by roma gypsies that were clocked from even higher mileages and they were all full of bull**** stories too. The radios were all tuned for Radio Budrea etc..
Old 6th October 2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
My D3 is on 240,000 miles. The reg no. is OV55 Y?? like the one in the Gumtree ad. The poor english on the ad would make me dubious. When I was looking for my A8, I must have been to see 3-4 A6s around the country (actually all around London) being sold by roma gypsies that were clocked from even higher mileages and they were all full of bull**** stories too. The radios were all tuned for Radio Budrea etc..
that has me worried to m8 hard to find a good one it seems