A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 27th October 2019, 11:25 AM

Looks good but very expensive. A Bosch battery at the moment is around £100. If I continue to go through them at a rate of 1 a year (as I am at the moment) this lithium battery would have to last 10 years or so to break even.

Also, if it needs a specific lithium battery charger to recharge, how does the car charging system deal with these batteries?

Anyone got any experience with these?
Old 28th October 2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Looks good but very expensive. A Bosch battery at the moment is around £100. If I continue to go through them at a rate of 1 a year (as I am at the moment) this lithium battery would have to last 10 years or so to break even.

Also, if it needs a specific lithium battery charger to recharge, how does the car charging system deal with these batteries?

Anyone got any experience with these?
According to the blurb it has its own battery management system to maintain charging parameters so I would hope it takes care of itself, it certainly ought too at that price

Old 9th November 2019, 12:51 PM

The blurb also states a 7-9 year life...
With regular L/A batteries lasting me 5 years, I don't see a benefit cost wise.

1800CCA and the reserve start power feature ("jump start") are good features though, especially for occasional use vehicles or battery drainage issues.

Lot of money for that benefit. You can get smart battery protection devices cheaper than that. Popular in 4x4 circles.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 9th November 2019, 01:39 PM

Interesting, got any links?

Old 9th November 2019, 09:10 PM

Priority Start

Ozcharge

The Ozcharge one seems low voltage to me, and more interested in protecting battery longevity than enabling engine start.
Priority start is absolutely designed to keep enough voltage to start the engine.

The other alternative is a capacitor based jump starter, which will get you started even with a flat battery.
SP tools ultra capacitor jump starter

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 9th November 2019, 11:25 PM

First product is good idea. Although after thinking about it the car alarm would go ape once the battery was disconnected. So not really suitable for our applications.

That Ozcharge reads all ass backwards to me but i may be missing its point.

Old 10th November 2019, 01:24 AM

Or is that Ozcharge reads upside down?

Capacitor jump starter solves most of the problems of occasional use where maintenance charging isn't practical. They even pull charge from other sources if the cars battery is too flat. Very flexible device, and they're getting cheaper!

You just need to make sure you use the car for a couple of hours once you start it to give the battery a fighting chance.

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4