A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 18th January 2018, 09:38 PM

Just recalling the initial failing...
Id been in to a car partk for an interview. Had obviously detailed the car over the nights before to look as s****y as me! No issues at all on 2 minute drive over. Left, reversed out and selected drive to exit. As i added a few revs and awaited the drive to take up, there was nothing up to 2000rpm. It just sat stationary. I think I switched the car on and off at this point and may have even locked / unlocked it to see if there was some quirky glitch. Tried to move away again and had no drive. Out of desperation, I gently squeezed the revs up and just over 2000rpm there was a horrendous thump and the selector lights on the dash illuminated. On adding revs to move, the car very lazily growled (Im catless!) and hauled itself in to life. It was obvious that it was in a locked higher gear but it was moving. I very gingerly moved on to a main road and as the speed increased the car became more responsive in its progress. From here on, each standing start was laboured but no thumps in the drivetrain.
Over the coming days, a pattern developed. It will take up drive in reverse without issue. The first attempt at forwards drive was always met with the thump - but you learnt to soften it. Very slow and sensitive raising of the revs to around 1800 (i think) and tickle it and it would more gently drop in to drive.
Then it was parked up and the investigation put on hold after the gearbox man condemned it with a potential £2500 rebuild price (which I appreciate isnt extortionate for this type of work)
Today, I have had a photo sent of the gearbox ecu (Im presuming on the bulkhead) and the pins are sparkling clean. I have passed on the rest of your great advice and see how it all develops.
Thanks again folks, Paul
Old 20th January 2018, 04:52 PM

well MJ is the expert but even she concurs with the possibility of it being the dreaded F125
suffice it to say that you cannot be far from our sponsors and , one of those new being an arm and a leg , if it comes to it our hosts here would be able to provide a used one, I presume being PF it will be the one with the circular connection not the oval
Old 20th January 2018, 04:57 PM

F125 from our sponsors is just over £100 used. The big problem is the work required to fit it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th January 2018, 05:08 PM

Thumbs up

A. New f125 is £165 from TPS and is worth it given the fact that all these switches will be a few years old and will.have started to degrade. With the costs of installing it on top, I would recommend a new one.
Old 20th January 2018, 05:11 PM

I guess it depends if you're doing it yourself and how much time you have.

If I was in DIY mode and not in a rush I'd take the old one off then take it apart and have a look inside before doing anything.

IIRC wasn't it MJ who did that, found crud/corrosion etc. and just cleaned it up and reassembled/reinstalled and it was fine.

But yes, if you're paying for the labour you might as well buy a new one.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th January 2018, 08:25 PM

I disagree its the F125 in this case - wrong fault codes. I only mentioned the F125 as a possible electrical cause of limp/thump rather than it always being mechanical.

The codes say something electrical inside the sump to me.

For the record, I have known-good F125s that I am happy to lend to people for diagnostic purposes. If you can change it yourself its worth a try before spending £250 on a new one, but if you have to pay a garage just put a new one on.
Old 21st January 2018, 01:39 PM

[quote=David's8;136897]A. New f125 is £165 from TPS and is worth it given the fact that all these switches will be a few years old and will.have started to degrade. With the costs of installing it on top, I would recommend a new one.[/QUOTE

~I have a tps just up the road and they quoted me over £300 for one as I wasn't a trader
Old 21st January 2018, 02:58 PM

[quote=oldnick;136916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
A. New f125 is £165 from TPS and is worth it given the fact that all these switches will be a few years old and will.have started to degrade. With the costs of installing it on top, I would recommend a new one.[/QUOTE

~I have a tps just up the road and they quoted me over £300 for one as I wasn't a trader
Just checked my invoice of Nov 2016 and it was listed as £153.09 exc VAT. so £183.70. My mistake ..but not £300!
Old 21st January 2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I disagree its the F125 in this case - wrong fault codes. I only mentioned the F125 as a possible electrical cause of limp/thump rather than it always being mechanical.
Useful reminder, it's easy when a sub-topic is followed up on to forget that it may be (and probably is in this case) secondary or irrelevant.

That said, I did ask earlier if those codes had been cleared and which returned after a short drive. Or even after a failed attempt at forward motion?

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st January 2018 at 03:48 PM.