A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 30th October 2020, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I'm doing this as well with the parts you linked me to as soon as my mechanic is done withthe car! it looks so good!
Old 30th October 2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I'm doing this as well with the parts you linked me to as soon as my mechanic is done withthe car! it looks so good!
80mm of M6 threaded bar + two plain M6 nuts for the main body of it, plus two M6 washers and a nylock nut for each end. The bottom where it goes in to the spring-bracket-thing needs 4-5mm taking off the ball joint thread so it clears the control arm, leaving just enough for the nylock to grab it.

I meant to take pics of building it but forgot sorry.
Old 30th October 2020, 01:22 PM

I think you should make some of them, front and rear and sell them on here. I'd buy a pair.
Old 30th October 2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
I think you should make some of them, front and rear and sell them on here. I'd buy a pair.
The challenge with that is that I'm reliant on recovering the metal brackets from the old plastic links so they can be modified for the ball joints. I don't have a stock of the brackets so I make new links per-car and re-use the brackets which come off.

I could probably get brackets manufactured, but that would make the finished product too expensive. The clip for the front arm can only be acquired new by buying chinesium level sensors for the A6, but again that makes them too expensive.
Old 30th October 2020, 03:55 PM

I could offer the ball joint links as a service though - either send the old ones and I'll convert them, or I could do one set at a time on an exchange basis. Does that work?
Old 31st October 2020, 09:12 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

IIRC, you did mine when the car was in for the chain tensioners?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 31st October 2020, 09:22 AM

Yes I did
Old 31st October 2020, 09:41 AM

What about you just sell the rods, at the correct length, with all the little bits needed to do a diy repair. I'm fairly sure I and many on here could drill out as needed.
Old 31st October 2020, 08:42 PM

Yeah thats feasible

A frustrating day today. I got the front panel back on and filled all the fluids. Still no brake hoses so I can't finish the brakes and so can't check the gearbox properly, but the engine starts up with no leaks

However... the replacement fan bearing failed immediately on startup and became loose and rattly I had to pull the fan, belt etc and replaced it with a good OE one which is all I had available. I will investigate getting a proper FAG or SKF bearing to replace the no-brand one the part comes with, and just use the housing.

After this was all back together the engine was nice and quiet but I noticed the TCU would go in to limp on every startup with a low voltage code When the code is cleared it's then quite happy, but at every power-up it gets the error so starts in limp every time. Swapping the TCU solved it, which is extra frustrating as I sold my spare S8 PRNDS TCU to Scott the other day to fix his tiptronic problem I do have a PRND432 TCU spare though so that'll go in for now while I seek a proper replacement.

Finally, I pulled out the jumper I had put in the starter interlock relay before it went on the lift, confident that the replacement wiring harness would solve the lack of a neutral signal from the F125, but it was not to be Still no start with the relay back in, so the F125 needs to come apart for inspection. At least that doesn't take long on an S8, especially one that's just been apart.

No leaks though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	218.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	24315   Click image for larger version

Name:	219.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	24316  
Old 31st October 2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yeah thats feasible

A frustrating day today. I got the front panel back on and filled all the fluids. Still no brake hoses so I can't finish the brakes and so can't check the gearbox properly, but the engine starts up with no leaks

However... the replacement fan bearing failed immediately on startup and became loose and rattly I had to pull the fan, belt etc and replaced it with a good OE one which is all I had available. I will investigate getting a proper FAG or SKF bearing to replace the no-brand one the part comes with, and just use the housing.

After this was all back together the engine was nice and quiet but I noticed the TCU would go in to limp on every startup with a low voltage code When the code is cleared it's then quite happy, but at every power-up it gets the error so starts in limp every time. Swapping the TCU solved it, which is extra frustrating as I sold my spare S8 PRNDS TCU to Scott the other day to fix his tiptronic problem I do have a PRND432 TCU spare though so that'll go in for now while I seek a proper replacement.

Finally, I pulled out the jumper I had put in the starter interlock relay before it went on the lift, confident that the replacement wiring harness would solve the lack of a neutral signal from the F125, but it was not to be Still no start with the relay back in, so the F125 needs to come apart for inspection. At least that doesn't take long on an S8, especially one that's just been apart.

No leaks though...
2 things,
1) could it be aged capacitors in TCU that resulting in low voltage error and be replaced and
2) can it be updated from PRND432 to PRNDS with a software update.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure