A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 28th September 2021, 10:03 AM

Post Trying out MMI P1001 ...

I'd always presumed K942 was the last 3G+ MMI but it now appears that there is a recent P1001. I discovered an online source, downloaded it and copied to an 8GB SD card. [I also tried a USB stick via the arm rest but although the MMI seemed to process it, I got a message "The medium is currently unavailable" and I had to cancel]!

I didn't actually perform the update; I just got to the Y/S/N screen, scrolled through to see what was potentially updated and the backstepped to cancel. [I believe updating the MMI deactivates Navigation mapping, so I didn't want to do that just to check out a newer MMI level].

In case it's any use to anyone who understands these things, here is a list of the modules that will get totally [Y] or partially [S] updated going from K942 to P1001.

S MU9411 : IFS-Root, efs-system
Y MuTnrRef : App 529-562
Y MUConsistency : App 1035-1072

Note: Unlike the D3, I don't recognise what these units are, but no Bose Amp update, which I believe is the unit "BoseG3_C7", which had a "N"

Julian

BTW I thought only 'factory' levels started "P", but I checked the meta file and it clearly identifies the update as "P1001"

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!

Last edited by JulianHicks; 28th September 2021 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Corrections to updated unit list ...
Old 4th February 2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
In case it's any use to anyone who understands these things, here is a list of the modules that will get totally [Y] or partially [S] updated going from K942 to P1001.

S MU9411 : IFS-Root, efs-system
Y MuTnrRef : App 529-562
Y MUConsistency : App 1035-1072
Four months on, I can now explain what these updates are.
The MU9411 is the A8 D4 specific 'MainUnit' which is where the MMI system is run. It has Flash memory and a hard disk. Most of the MMI [which is a Unix QNX system] is installed on the Flash; the HD is used for the Nav. Maps and the Jukebox. The Flash is divided into about 6 areas which are updated by overwriting them [flashing them] with a single file. These 'files' are actually sets of Unix filesystems.

So the P1001 update mainly updates two of these areas, IFS-Root & EFS-System, which form the bulk of the MMI code. In traditional Audi style, no write-up is available to say which issues are fixed and what functions are added. In my case, I was just interested in performing an MMI update. [My update to my existing K0942 was done by the dealer].

The other two files updated are minor cross-reference files, once again, the use of which is undocumented.

Now I understand far more about the 3G+ MMI, I decided to update a few days ago; the update was run from SD and only took five minutes from pressing the 'Start' option in the Red Engineering Menu [REM] to the reboot with the new MMI level.

As I type, I've only had it installed 48 hours; no signs of any MMI changes yet but I'll update if I notice anything.

But BTW, it replaced the Navigation activation files so I had to reactivate ......

J

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!