A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 22nd March 2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
All 20 of the tyres for both these cars were bought as part worns (and all from DM Tyres in Oldham ) - at an average saving of £250 per tyre. so 20 x £250 = £5,000).
Pity it costs so much to have things like tyres sent across to here, as the choice of part worn tyres here is very limited, and you're lucky to get a matching pair, never mind a set of four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
I just can't justify paying over £250 each for a new premium brand tyre when you can get a perfectly good pair for under £200 with a good 6/7mm of tread depth on them.
I'm in the same boat. As an example, about four weeks ago I bought two part worn tyres for the S8 (turned out that the rears were on the limit). They were 285/30R21 Pirelli P Zero MGT and cost me £180 (including delivery) for a matching pair with 6mm of tread. A quick Google search shows these as costing from £216 each, so in this instance it was a no-brainer for me.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:42 PM

interesting ...nobody mentions age
personally I wouldn't use anything over 7 years old , so would check the age of any used tyre I bought
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
personally I wouldn't use anything over 7 years old , so would check the age of any used tyre I bought
All of mine are less than 4 years old. Is that better?

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 23rd March 2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
Hey, I eat food past it's "sell by" date man, I live life on the edge me

I've never bought part worns yet but if the price is right I certainly will

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 23rd March 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
So thanks Ainar!, for alerting me to these guys . I must buy you a beer next time I see you!
Can I have 10% of your savings instead of beer?

To be fair DM tyres was recommended to me by another forum member Sub-Zero who met me near DM Tyres on the day and showed the way. I only used them once in 2012. Back then both winter tyre and second hand tyre market was very limited in UK so I travelled 160 miles each way to get a set of 4 matching Michelin winter tyres 3 years old from manufacturing date and 6.5-7mm for £120 including fitting, a set that new would cost about £600. Second hand tyre market and winter tyre market in UK has picked up since and I can source decent tyres at decent prices more locally so I have not been back but they definitely had loads of tyres with best range and prices that I have seen, it's just that they are too far from me. They do offer offer shipping but it comes at cost and you loose out on free fitting so you need to add another £70-80 on top of your £120-200 set depending on size so these days it works out cheaper to get something locally for me.

There are still a lot of overpriced second hand tyres on offer with little tread left or old age so you need to be wise shopping around and check price, tread left, manufacturing dates and condition/repairs but if you do your due diligence there are good deals to be had. Even on ebay auctions some are bid up to ridiculous prices.

Speaking of age I do not buy second hand tyres older than 3 years for winter tyres or 4 years for summers. Unused tyres can be sold as new for up to 2 years since manufacturing date and generally useful life is considered to be 6 years for winters and 10 for summers since putting into use assuming they have been stored in correct conditions before fitting.

Quote:
Pity it costs so much to have things like tyres sent across to here, as the choice of part worn tyres here is very limited, and you're lucky to get a matching pair, never mind a set of four.
If the demand is there market should pick up, or it could be a business opportunity to get in the trade before others do. The places that have best offers in UK have their tyres shipped by container load from continental Europe, mostly Germany/Netherlands. Local UK braker yards have poor choice, condition and prices. Unless there are some local laws in NI restricting it I don't see why it could not be replicated there.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th March 2018, 09:45 PM

And when you consider that much or central and northern Europe switch between summer and winter tyres; they would always have a set in store (ether summer or winter). Hence when the car is sold on, their new car invariably has a different tyre size. So those "part worn" tyres need an outlet. I picked up a set of 4 matching winters in exactly this way. Someone had sold their car (Audi) and therefore had no use for them.

So I am open to this. But I only buy if more than 6.5mm of tread remains and never if the tyre is damaged or repaired.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 27th March 2018, 11:07 PM

I need two front tyres. Do they deliver or is it not worth.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 28th March 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
And when you consider that much or central and northern Europe switch between summer and winter tyres; they would always have a set in store (ether summer or winter). Hence when the car is sold on, their new car invariably has a different tyre size. So those "part worn" tyres need an outlet. I picked up a set of 4 matching winters in exactly this way. Someone had sold their car (Audi) and therefore had no use for them.

So I am open to this. But I only buy if more than 6.5mm of tread remains and never if the tyre is damaged or repaired.
That's the essence of the DM tyres business model: In Germany (and possibly elsewhere...) retailers are required to resell part-ex cars with a full set of matching tyres, so they strip off any PX non-matching ones and sell them on, and DM get a delivery of these every few weeks. They have a variety of tread depths, but they know to keep aside 7mm winters and summers for my S8 and Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
I need two front tyres. Do they deliver or is it not worth.
Yes, give them a call - just look up DM tyres in Oldham, ask for Nasser or Omar and say Stephen sent you

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 28th March 2018, 12:11 PM

Cheers

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub