A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 31st March 2018, 01:55 PM

Default Been a while since someone really tried to destroy a car I'm driving.....

What is it about lane discipline at roundabouts these days?!

Driving home from Homebase yesterday, in outside lane of a dual carriageway with 2 lanes continuing straight ahead on the priority road, and normal highway code rules, some plonker in a Micra decides to do a right turn from the left hand lane (without indicating at all!)

It was wet and had the family in the car so was taking it steady, but frightened the crap out of my son when I had to rely on the ABS to bring us to an abrupt halt in the middle of the roundabout as he sailed across our bow missing the car by inches. I'm fairly sure the driver wasn't even aware of how close he'd come to having an S5 embedded in his shoulder.....

I've noticed a few times lately that people seem less inclined to follow the rules approaching roundabouts, and just go for the shortest queue and then dive about to turn off where they want to go once they're out on it

<Grumpy mode off>

I may just stay at home the rest of the bank holiday weekend

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 31st March 2018, 04:45 PM

The world’s gone mad mate. Everyone bar thee and me.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 31st March 2018, 07:08 PM

I hear you, I do think that basic driving standards are on the decline.....
Outside Motorway Lane sitters, huge queue of cars doing 65mph whilst the inside lane is empty and Red light jumpers - ‘well, it was my turn’ are my personal favourites!!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 31st March 2018, 07:13 PM

Exactly the situation that resulted in my only accident in 36 years of driving, Adrian. A student type in his Corsa did exactly as you described and I clipped his rear quarter and spun him round. I'd have t-boned him if he hadn't sped up because he thought I was turning right too and was racing me to the exit.

Considering the hassle with the insurance companies afterwards (it's 50/50 sir, you're both at fault! ) and the lack of interest from he police as to who had been at fault, I wish I'd gunned the D2 and flipped the little tw*t into the next county

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra

Last edited by Norretal; 31st March 2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 31st March 2018, 07:55 PM

I had a similar incident in Oslo. Only it was a bus! The driver didn't indicate the turn, and I had to brake hard. I ended up on the sidewalk before I managed to stop the car

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 31st March 2018, 08:48 PM

Now that is why I like driving BIG coaches.
Seriously you are correct, the standards are dropping, just like common courtesy.
Bring back "saluting AA men".

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 1st April 2018, 02:49 PM

I think that modern cars can dull your driving spidey senses. I had a 1966 MG Midget when I was 19 (LOOONNGG time ago now!) and you needed psychic abilities to drive that properly!

I have a 2015 Jaguar XF and it has made me lose my spacial awareness when parking a car that doesn't have sensors and a camera! Plus when you are in it it's so easy to forget to be 100% alert all the time.

Personally I prefer driving older cars, because you actually have to have some driving skill to drive them!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 1st April 2018, 04:32 PM

I think modern society dulls your senses, and not just with respect to driving. People are too into themselves to even know what is going on around them, and unfortunately they take that attitude with them when they drive. So long as it doesn't affect them, they continue on their merry way.

Roundabout incidents - Happened m-a-n-y years ago when I was on two wheels (bicycle). I was going straight on at a roundabout, and noticed a car approaching from the left junction. Could tell that he had no intention of stopping, so had to make a choice. Pedal like mad and try and get off the roundabout or turn sharply into the roundabout without having a chance to look around. Went for the second option (which was the best in hindsight) and he clipped my left pedal with his wheel. He didn't bother stopping. Reported it to the police about five minutes later, and they couldn't care less.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd April 2018, 08:26 AM

I had a similar incident a few years back when driving a coach. A van on my left (straight ahead lane) started to indicate right, there was no way I was going to swerve across into another lane not knowing what was in my blind spot so I stuck to my lane but slowed down a little. He would have made it through but for the trailer he was towing getting wedged into the door of the coach!

When we stopped he was half on the verge and I was in my lane blocking the main road at Marsh Mills roundabout in Plymouth onto the A38 at rush hour. He had the nerve to say "I was indicating you should have let me in"!

The police arrived at took some statements then closed the roundabout so we could detach our two vehicles, but they didn't wait for me to get back in first! I had to climb up the emergency exit! I recall there being some long queues that morning!

There days I drive my D2 with great care, keeping an eye of for anyone driving stupid and just let them get on with it, plus I've fitted a dashcam in case there is any need to prove liability.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 3rd April 2018, 06:34 PM

The ones I hate when I am coach driving are the ones in the right lane when negotiating roundabouts. They all want to cut in too sharp encroaching into my lane just where I need my front end so that my rear wheels don't flatten the footway. Very awkward when you are looking ten directions at once.
Have you noticed how many mirrors we have these days?

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)