A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th June 2018, 07:26 PM

Default Oil analysis?

Hi folks

Anyone ever had an engine oil sample analysed after a service? Considering it for the S5 as it's getting serviced in a couple of weeks and I'm swapping from Shell/Castrol bulk main dealer oils to an ester based alternative in a 5w40.

Intrigued to see what sort of condition report I get back from a sample - car has been main dealer serviced to date, every year on the dot - so I can compare in a year, if we've still got the old girl then.

TIA

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 4th June 2018, 09:23 PM

Yep but not for the S8.

I used to get oil analysis conducted for the M6 (it’s been off the road for 2 years so haven’t bothered in that time).

The tolerances are so fine in the BMW V10 engine that quite a few owners regularly check for metal in the oil as a precursor for having the bigend/conrod bearings changed, which I had done.

If you are looking for something in particular and need peace of mind I would recommend it.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 4th June 2018, 10:14 PM

Cool - who did you use?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC