A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 30th July 2018, 08:49 AM

I had a DS7 Crossback on 24 hour test drive Friday/Saturday.

Before you laugh, I needed to do an airport run with luggage, the Mini just ain't up to that job, so it was a handy offer of a free loaner, and something that I might have considered as a daily driver.

Here's my observations, particularly around adaptive cruise control

1. Anyone with an SUV will know the problem of the back of your trousers getting dirty when you get out. The doors of this car have been designed to cover the whole of the bottom of the car, sills included, so they are kept mostly clean so your trousers stay clean.

2. Loads of standard kit including adaptive LED headlights (not matrix though), adaptive cruise, massage driver seat, power everything, heated AND ventilated front seats, BLIS, lane assist, night vision wireless phone charging, etc etc. The car could basically drive itself.

3. Love the ventilated seats. I'm always too warm, so these were a big thumbs up from me

4. Focal hifi speakers, whilst not top class, were very decent for the standard of car.

5. Leather (or Alcantara on some models) everywhere, including most of the dashboard

6. I drove the 180PS diesel Ultra Prestige version. The car drives well, honeslty has enough power for the style of car, and suspension rides very comfortably.

Dislikes:

1. The controls for heating, ventilation, navigation, etc are touch screen or voice controlled only. I don't like touch screen anyway, if the car hits a bump, you touch the wrong part of the screen, plus it means taking your eyes off the road for too long in my opinion. But, if you're going to have it, the voice control has to work well, and it just doesn't in this car. Heathrow Terminal 5? No sir. Coombe Abbey? Nope. In a nutshell, it works best with a postcode, which is great when you have the postcode, not so good when you don't. This is the key reason this car is definitely off my shortlist, could not live with this.

2. The adaptive cruise. Now, this is my first experience of ACC, but I found it utterly annoying and watned to turn it off and just have normal cruise.

At town speeds, say up to 40mph, I found the car got far too close to a slowing car in front before slowing down, despite me setting the distance to the longest possible.

At motorway speeds, it was the complete opposite, slowing the car down far too early, despite me changing the distance setting to the shortest possible. I found my self having to change lanes to overtake, without the ACC slowing me down, far far earlier than I would do normally.

So, I'm interested to know why you all like it so much, is the Audi ACC all that different from this?

3. The price is utterly crazy, car I tried is circa £42k.

4. Cannot be specced with 4wd??? Just stupid

Summary:

They're the only real dislikes really. Car can be specced cheaper and without ACC, so could get over those issues, but the whole touch screen infotainment ruined the car for me, and I have a horrible suspicion I'm going to feel the same about the D5.

Other than that, the car is thoroughly decent, especially for a motorway cruiser, but needs to be 10k cheaper than it is in my opinion.
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 30th July 2018, 10:29 AM

I am not the worlds best fan of ACC, it works on a deserted motorway and that is about it. Or Richmond Park trying to keep at 20mph!

You are correct, overtaking starts much further down the road than is necessary. It would be great if it could be toggled to 'normal' CC.

That said, it was only after having read on here I learnt that accelerating rather than braking also pauses the ACC, that really helps when overtaking.

I often see comments on here that cars would not be purchased if they didn't have ACC, if that truly is the case then in my mind there are a number of great cars being overlooked.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 30th July 2018, 11:27 AM

Sarg, this may be an odd suggestion but have you considered a S90, especially with the D5 AWD? It's only a two litre but with 2 turbos on it and hardly any lag it was surprisingly punchy.

Great kit levels and some cracking leasing available on that at the moment. Like a S90 D5 R-Design with added options of quad zone, bendy LED headlights, keyless entry, start and boot release (powered boot standard) for about £325 per month on 10,000 3+23 lease deal.

Touchscreen and ACC are also standard though!

Just a thought anyway.

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 30th July 2018, 11:28 AM

Yup, S/V90 is on the (long) shortlist, as is XC60/90, would more likely go nearly new on PCP and hope to find one with the Bowers & Wilkins speakers.

Have you got a link for that lease deal though?

Old 30th July 2018, 11:46 AM

The ACC on the D5 A8 I took up to the Annual Meet worked very well indeed, much better than I expected - it was intuitive but you still cant stop idiots cutting in to your braking / stopping distance in front and causing the car to brake as a reaction. It also "read" the variable motorways speed limits and adjusted the cars settings until the normal speed limit returned which impressed me hugely, and worked very well right down to 0 mph when following other vehicles.

The Audi touch screens - which I was preparing to hate - are actually really good. after a few days you get used to where everything is just like with buttons and it genuinely didnt feel any different in use to me. The touch screens are very intuitive indeed and give a "click" feel aptic response back through the tip of your finger so that it feels just like you have clicked a button which i quite clever and many of them are "sliders" for things like fan speeds etc and light dimming and so on.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 30th July 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Yup, S/V90 is on the (long) shortlist, as is XC60/90, would more likely go nearly new on PCP and hope to find one with the Bowers & Wilkins speakers.

Have you got a link for that lease deal though?
https://www.jetvehiclefinance.co.uk/...Business/false

I think they have a batch to get rid of, looks cheap as under 19% of list over 2 years

I'm not sure if this allowed on here so please remove if not, apologies if so.

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 30th July 2018, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
2. The adaptive cruise. Now, this is my first experience of ACC, but I found it utterly annoying and watned to turn it off and just have normal cruise.
Soooo..... Basically, you prefer the old style cruise control where its possible to crash into people then.....

A lot of people on their first outing don't like. Or, don't trust it more like.

Where it comes into its own is a congested, or 50mph stretch of motorway where its boring as heck, and normal cruise is completely useless.

It does take little getting used to. It does things you wouldnt, and vice versa. It does nothing bad. Just different.

You need to be brave and let it deal with a few situations you are very tempted to take control of, and build up some confidence. Then its quite relaxing.

Ive just driven from Harrogate to Bath today. A shocking journey. Roadworks and delays everywhere, but did 95%+ of it on adaptive cruise and I just steered.....

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 30th July 2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Soooo..... Basically, you prefer the old style cruise control where its possible to crash into people then.....

A lot of people on their first outing don't like. Or, don't trust it more like.

Where it comes into its own is a congested, or 50mph stretch of motorway where its boring as heck, and normal cruise is completely useless.

It does take little getting used to. It does things you wouldnt, and vice versa. It does nothing bad. Just different.

You need to be brave and let it deal with a few situations you are very tempted to take control of, and build up some confidence. Then its quite relaxing.

Ive just driven from Harrogate to Bath today. A shocking journey. Roadworks and delays everywhere, but did 95%+ of it on adaptive cruise and I just steered.....
Wot he said - except I don't even bother steering either

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 31st July 2018, 11:40 AM

I seem to recall there being a thread on here containing details how to check the spec of Audi vehicles, but can't find it in the stickys.

Any pointers anyone? Do I have to phone up Audi customer services, or is there a website I can get the info with just a reg number?

Old 31st July 2018, 11:41 AM

The Reg to VIN sites no longer work but I may be able to get the VIN for you if you have a Reg

This was the thread

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=decoder
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder