A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 15th October 2017, 03:41 PM

Default Bluetooth into Symphony II

I've got a Symphony II (with BOSE) in my red car and now that I've just opted for a Spotify subscription, I want to get my Samsung Note 8 linked to the car stereo in the best possible way.

I would like to keep the stock look of the car so don't fancy any wires hanging about to charge the phone or take the sound from the headphone jack hence Bluetooth being the connection of choice.
In a perfect world, I'd like to upgrade to an RNS-E retrofit with a MFSW but the thought of the complexity (just read Ian's sticky on it) and cost of doing so have put me off. And I'm not impressed with the RNS-D in my blue car either so does anyone have any experience or suggestions on what I need to fit snugly behind the Symphony II to get me going?

I've looked on eBay and found some kit at around the £30-£40 mark but the listing(s) suggests that it's for the Symphony II with external CD changer - and mine takes the discs into the unit rather than a boot mounted unit.
I've also seen some other black boxes around £80ish, some at around £240ish(!) and then I also find in some threads a unit from XCarlink that I think is around £135.
Handsfree speakerphone for calls would be good (a discreet mic wouldn't be an issue) as would the ability to answer/end calls from the Symphony and also control tracks back and forth.

So does anyone have any experience of this? Seen any threads or web links that could point me in any direction? Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Last edited by Spanker; 15th October 2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: .
Old 15th October 2017, 08:46 PM

I use XCarlink with my RNS-D, it works fine with predictable/inevitable limitations.
I'd guess the setup with Symphony is similar, but I'd ask the supplier the specific question as the RNS-D setup uses the CD connection.
Do you have a picture of the back of your unit?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th October 2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I use XCarlink with my RNS-D, it works fine with predictable/inevitable limitations.
I'd guess the setup with Symphony is similar, but I'd ask the supplier the specific question as the RNS-D setup uses the CD connection.
Do you have a picture of the back of your unit?
Alas, I don't have a picture of the back of my unit as it is with MJ at the moment.

What are the predictable/inevitable limitations?
Poorer sound quality compared to a wired set up?
Sound/signal dropping out?

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 15th October 2017, 09:02 PM

Sound quality is excellent.

Limitations are due to the way you control things through the RNS, with the external media storage emulating a CD changer, so up to 6 virtual CD's of max 99 tracks each and no names/labels/pictures etc. It's 1990's tech controlling systems from 20 years later so much functionality people are used to just cannot be there if you want to use the OEM controls.

If you just want to stream and control from your device that's fine.
I have mine all hidden with the music on an SD card. Though it could be USB, or AUX cable or Bluetooth input.

To use the phone (handsfree obviously) or stream music directly from it (via Bluetooth) means I have to operate the phone.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 15th October 2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 15th October 2017, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the input (no pun intended) Andrew.
So when you connect the unit up to the CD connections on the back of the RNS-D, is it acting as a through-port so that the CD changer is still in use?
Or is your CD changer now out of action?
I get the impression from what you said that as there are 6 CD "slots" on the RNS-D to skip through, then if you have 6 virtual CD's from the XCarlink then it is taking up the "slots" on screen that you would cycle through when the CD input is chosen.

If so, I am not quite sure how it will affect me who has the 6 CD's in the head unit without a changer.
One for the suppliers to answer I guess

Old 15th October 2017, 09:51 PM

If you have an external CD changer it still works.

The electronics in the XCarlink "flip-flop" each time you select CD on the RNS. So to CD/Radio/TV button (if you have TV) actually has the sequence: CD, Radio, TV, XCARlink, Radio, TV and back around again...

If you don't have an external CD changer and it's a Symphony unit - ask the supplier, as you say.
Old 18th October 2017, 07:35 PM

I had the symphony 2 with internal cd changer and the xcarlink bluetooth adaptor that they insisted was the correct model did not work with the internal changer. I returned it as a faulty item and when the replacement didn't work I eventually got a refund and bought a Dension Gateway. Was slightly more expensive but took 5 minutes to fit and works perfectly.
Old 18th October 2017, 09:04 PM

I bought one of those Ebay bluetooth units as a workaround with my RNS-D. It's a bit of a faff toggling to 'TV' then to the 'AUX' connection so I tend only to use it if I'm on a long journey.

Unit works well, can stream content from the phone to it and it comes with handy phone controls/built in mic in one handy unit (about the diameter of a £2 coin but twice the thickness)

as long as there is some form of AUX connector then this should work as a viable cost effective solution.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 19th October 2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
I had the symphony 2 with internal cd changer and the xcarlink bluetooth adaptor that they insisted was the correct model did not work with the internal changer. I returned it as a faulty item and when the replacement didn't work I eventually got a refund and bought a Dension Gateway. Was slightly more expensive but took 5 minutes to fit and works perfectly.
Thanks for the advice.
I thought about going for an eBay one too but I ordered a Dension Lite Bt today and it should be with me tomorrow.
All being well, I should be picking up Big Red at the weekend so may just get a chance to install and test it. Especially if it only takes about 5 minutes.
If I get stuck I should be with somebody who can put me right.

Old 19th October 2017, 06:31 PM

Hmm my radio removal keys got borrowed and not returned. I'll have to see if I can find any locally tomorrow.

Oh, and get the code for the radio!