A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > House and Home DIY

House and Home DIY Everything at home. Building, Renovating, DIY, green initiatives, mowing the lawn. Anything goes

Old 18th May 2013, 09:41 PM

Yes I did. Availability is not an issue. The same company manufacture green lasers too. They are a bit cost prohibitive. For instance, 20mW green plane laser module was quoted £1275. I went for 15mW red and the cost was £454. That is just for the laser module.

Because it is plane laser and not dot laser (or do they call them line lasers?) the power of laser is distributed across the whole plane and not concentrated in one dot. Plane lasers are not as dangerous as powerful dot lasers.

Last edited by notorious; 18th May 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:08 PM

Ouch!$$$ Could you not achieve the same with £10 laser. I do have spirit level with red line laser that cost less then £10, battery operated and no remote control but that could be rigged up if needed. Also my jigsaw that cost around £25 has laser alignment line. I know you are always going for the best available but it would be hard for me to swallow 40x the cost

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th May 2013, 10:47 PM

This is industrial grade equipment. My first idea was to buy battery-operated Bosch or Leica laser level and simply attach it to wall on a mount. But one problem is operating temperature. These devices are not designed for permanent outdoor installation. I wanted the device to work reliably at temperatures below -10C. The laster I've got is warranted to work up to -15C. Second problem is UK climate. This device is dust and water protected. 100% waterproof.

I think about this in cost avoidance terms. Fixing car properly if I dent, say, a wing and a door will cost £1500-£2000 easily. And I use garage every day.
Old 19th May 2013, 05:54 PM

Made pics today how the thing works.

Situation: Double garage with idiotically narrow doors. Who built this? Welcome to the UK !!!

5cm tolerance from one side ...

... and 5cm tolerance from another side. Notice red line on bonnet.

SOLUTION: On approach to garage you can see a red line on the bonnet. Align the line with climate control sun sensor and just press gas. That's it.

Don't worry about mirrors -- just relax and drive. Make sure sun sensor is always in the middle of the red line. And don't look right or left -- it is scary.

These black/yellow things will make sure you stop at the right place even if you drive fast. No cork on rope !

Stopped. This ensures parking with laser accuracy.

Result: 5cm from front bumper to front wall ...

... 5cm from left to water tank ...

... and 5cm from rear bumper to closed door.

This system guarantees you **always** park exactly on the same spot with 1cm tolerance. Red line is visible even in bright sunny weather and activated via remote control from car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	1747
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	6049   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	1561
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	6050   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	1521
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	6051   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	1622
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	6052   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	1543
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	6053   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	1546
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	6054   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	1563
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	6055   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	1590
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	6056   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	1513
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	6057   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	1540
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	6058  

Last edited by notorious; 19th May 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 19th May 2013, 07:02 PM

Excellent piece of engineering

The garage I have left is 'just' big enough for an '8. but then you wouldn't be able to get out the doors..

I know.. I know..

Old 19th May 2013, 07:21 PM

That is some hi-tech solution! When docking ships (and I mean aligning them with the keel blocks before draining down the dock -or raising them on a shiplift - to leave the vessel high and dry), they have in the past tried all sorts of similar kit but have come back to using simple, low tech, low cost plumb bobs as used by shipwrights in Nelson's day.... I know that people often use a tennis ball on a string to ensure that they dont hit the wall at the end. That said, I DO appreciate that this device guides you in from a greater distance out - from how far out is it usable?
Old 19th May 2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Excellent piece of engineering

The garage I have left is 'just' big enough for an '8. but then you wouldn't be able to get out the doors..
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Glad you have left it !!!
Old 19th May 2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
That is some hi-tech solution! When docking ships (and I mean aligning them with the keel blocks before draining down the dock -or raising them on a shiplift - to leave the vessel high and dry), they have in the past tried all sorts of similar kit but have come back to using simple, low tech, low cost plumb bobs as used by shipwrights in Nelson's day.... I know that people often use a tennis ball on a string to ensure that they dont hit the wall at the end. That said, I DO appreciate that this device guides you in from a greater distance out - from how far out is it usable?
Distance depends on amount of sunlight. From a couple of metres before garage during sunny day to 20+ meters during night.

Tennis ball / cork on a string will tell you where to stop but it won't provide much guidance left/right on approach. It is also much softer tool than I need. I need a device to physically stop me to avoid any human error. Hence those big rubber things on the floor.

This is garage with 5 cm tolerances.

Last edited by notorious; 19th May 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 19th May 2013, 09:37 PM

absolutely superb piece of engineering work there Sergey, well done, I love it

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 20th May 2013, 11:34 AM

Awesome job! I would probably have gone for putting the money towards removing the silly pillar and putting a longer steel in place with a double door, but depends on structural issues above I guess - and risk!

I've never got round to videoing me getting the car in and out of the garage but because it's a standard UK single (7ft but frame makes it smaller) it is ridiculous on a daily basis, especially as the builders put a half width of bricks exactly half way down the garage to give some additional strength to the roof supports so I can't get out with the car all the way in! Pulling a 2 tonne car in and out does get a bit dull....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC