A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 28th December 2017, 09:14 AM

I'm fascinated that this different design exists and no-one has noticed it before!
It's basically the same but with the geometry turned from a flat set of parallel conducting/non-conducting tracks on a disc to cams around a cylinder, so a subtly different implementation.
So there is an extra indirect step (via the cams) in the mechanism which may, or may not, make it more reliable.

I wonder when it appeared and why and then presumably disappeared again....

Probably meant to be more reliable but cost too much more to make.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 28th December 2017, 05:13 PM

I think the external give away is that it has the rectangular connector, but a brown plastic body to the switch.
All the other ones I've seen pictured are either round connector with brown body, or rectangular connector with black body.

Google image search suggests that the internals of my switch is the earlier design, but mine has the later style connector, so maybe there was a transition period before they moved to the new switch design which doesn't correspond with the connector change.
I don't know why they changed the design, the newer style internals look like they'd be less reliable, but maybe the wiping back & forth makes it self cleaning, whereas mine will eventually end up with dirty/burnt contacts.
Maybe it's just cheaper to produce, but cheaper enough to be worth the cost of a re-design that late in the history of the car??

The fact they changed the type of plastic suggests it may have been they ran out of stock from the original supplier and had to re-source, maybe it got redesigned then...

1985 Ur quattro Tornado red, black leather.
www.urquattro.info
Old 31st December 2017, 12:34 PM

Default F125 switch

We had the same problem , about 4 years ago on our D2 4.2 in winter with a poor battery , the fault code was showing the F125 switch.
We changed the battery first while I looked for a new switch and 4 years on the fault never returned still on its original switch (4 speed)

Then about 2 years ago our C5 S6 did exactly the same !
This time after a prolonged lay up and a weak battery, battery changed and again no repeat of the problem.
Old 4th January 2018, 06:15 PM

just an odd thing which I haven't noticed posted anywhere

on my 2000Fl round connector , had the odd limp mode in cold weather when starting
HOWEVER I believe this happened after engaging reverse to exit the garage ; just realised that since the passenger mirror stopped dipping on engaging reverse it hasn't it hasn't happened !

cause and effect or coincidence ?
Old 4th January 2018, 09:42 PM

Well, part of the F125 functions is to send signals to other modules such as reversing sensors; mirror memory control etc . I think (looking at the wiring diagrams) that the F125 contacts which control the power circuit for the mirrors are separate from others including the contacts/circuit which feed the TCU. So it would seem that you are getting problems with the F125 which indicates something is amiss.
Its not coincidence tho IMHO.
Old 4th January 2018, 11:35 PM

The whole reversing light/control circuit goes through the F125.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th January 2018, 07:30 PM

Update - No better. I still got gearbox errors when cold / damp - only at startup.

Today I replaced the switch with a cheap one I got from Ebay. New, but probably Chinese copy, shipped from USA all in for £35. Ebay item 282315422285

The cable is slightly shorter than OEM, but it just reaches if the connector is not clipped into the bracket. It's not going anywhere though - it's too tight.

Things I found made it easier:-
Loosen bottom 2 bolts at top of exhaust downpipe. Remove 4 bolts downpipe-cat.
Remove headlight level sensor.
I never replaced the top bolt on the CV joint heat sheild, but the remaining 2 bolts are pretty huge for the application.
Remove 2 bolts gearbox mount - subframe.
Remove 1 bolt gearbox mount - gearbox. Only the one nearest the switch.
Loosen the other 2 bolts gearbox mount - gearbox as I found these awkward to get started. Wedge screwdriver between gearbox mount and gearbox right where the removed bolt went to hold the mount away from switch.
Jack up gearbox to replace gearbox mount bolt.

I don't think the style of switch I had was an improvement over the one most others seem to have. Although mine looked more robust, I think the "sweeper" style switch is self cleaning when the one I had was not. Although the sweeper will gradually wear out, the other style will get tarnished contacts which are not cleaned in operation.
We'll see how long that Chinese switch lasts...

www.urquattro.info
Old 26th January 2018, 07:15 PM

Well, with new switch - the problem is exactly the same. Back to square one.

Sequence is:-
Cold start.
Ignition on, warning lights such as battery light illuminate immediately.
After about 2 seconds, the speedo, tach & DIS light up and the fuel gauge goes up.
At this point only "P" is lit on the DIS.
Crank engine, cranks for a couple of seconds (appears strongly) then starts.
As the engine starts, the DIS immediately lights PRND432 (about 1 in 3 times at the moment).
PRND432 stays lit and only reverse and 4th gear are available until I switch off and restart. On restart, it works perfectly every time.
It works perfectly every time if the engine (or the weather) is warm.

Cleaning the F125 switch or replacing it makes no difference at all.
Switching on ignition, then shifting the gear lever all the way down to 2 and back up to P before starting seems to make it work properly every time (this convinced me the switch was at fault).
I have had the gearbox control unit out previously and cleaned / inspected the connector. Also opened it and inspected the PCB for dry joints etc.

Tomorrow morning, I will take the laptop out to the car with me and pull codes while in the error state (if it happens), as no fault codes are being stored.
I'll also do a load test on the battery.

Is it normal for the warning lights to light immediately when ignition switched on, and the rest of the dash power up a second or two later?
Car is 2001 FL.

www.urquattro.info
Old 26th January 2018, 07:33 PM

I wonder if there's something wrong mechanically in the linkages from the shift lever?

As for the dash, hadn't really thought about it but some lights come on immediately, then a second or so later you can hear a relay click and various other things then activate.

Last edited by HPsauce; 26th January 2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 26th January 2018, 08:17 PM

So it goes in to limp as soon as it starts, rather than when you put it in to gear?

I'm intrigued to know what codes its showing, especially if its not storing them.

I'm also wondering if the linkage is incorrectly adjusted. The TCU knows which direction the shifter is moving so potentially shifting before it starts allows it to figure out its in P, but from a cold start the contacts aren't quite right. Thats conjecture of course without the codes. Weird how its temperature sensitive...