A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 29th April 2012, 07:43 PM

Default Heater fan stops on

Hi, have a fault with my heater. It sounds like it could be the rest heater, as its not loud or fast running. When i say it wont go off, i mean you can take keys out lock it and still on. Only way to stop it, is to pull a massive fuse out. Located at front of the pass footwell behind the wood.
Is there other ways to narrow fault down? Is there a easy connector to unplug, or another fuse, that just stops that part of heater system.
Instead of losing all the heating, and normal heat fan.

Thanks for any help given.
Old 29th April 2012, 08:03 PM

How long does it stay on? Is it the main engine fan as these will run on for a bit.

I know.. I know..

Old 29th April 2012, 08:04 PM

I had a fault which was a noisy rest heater pump.
Easily disconnected with a plug under the bonnet on my PF D2.
What vintage/model is your 8?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th April 2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
How long does it stay on? Is it the main engine fan as these will run on for a bit.
No its not main fan, Sounds like the heater fan u press "rest button"
Low speed. Didnt spot it at first. Just came out next day to flat battery. Then same next day, so checked all interior lights boot and engine bay. Nothing then Steve noticed a very low noise, He says its a Heater fan behind dash or scuttle pass side. So we unplugged main big fuse to kill all heating fans. Car doesnt get flat battery anymore.
This Heater was on 24/7 till batt got flat LOL

Face lift D2 sport
Old 29th April 2012, 08:44 PM

See this thread: http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/threads/4687.phtml
Not very good pics, but on my (PF) car there are 2 electrical connectors to the right (nearside) of the main ventilation air intake (looking from the front) at the back of the bonnet.
Easily accessed from the top by hand. Next to the two funny cylindrical/domed things that are all part of the auxiliary pump unit.

I just unplugged them one at a time until I determined which operated the pump built in to the unit. And it's been like that for a while now, no problems.
Mine were purple IIRC.

BUT my pump didn't run on constantly, so maybe you've got a faulty switch or relay somewhere?

This was my problem thread: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 29th April 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:28 PM

Right sound of fan is coming from centre box under the bonnet at the back.
right next to it you have two plugs.
1 has pink ends either side and a tan connector. Unpluged that one, still no differents.
There is a smaller plug below it. pink ends black connector. Not tryed unplugging as ran out of time.
Did notice one thing when plugging fuse back in tho. It doesnt come on straight away. As when i plugged it, after i had undun connector thought ide cured it. Till i got back under bonnet and it then started.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:09 PM

Do you have a solar roof? If I remember correctly there is a relay that switches over from the normal 12v supply to the power produced by the sun roof. If this relay was stuck in the normal supply position when the ignition is turned off it might, be running off the battery. I haven't got any wiring diagrams with me to check that theory out.
Old 30th April 2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graynada View Post
Do you have a solar roof? If I remember correctly there is a relay that switches over from the normal 12v supply to the power produced by the sun roof. If this relay was stuck in the normal supply position when the ignition is turned off it might, be running off the battery. I haven't got any wiring diagrams with me to check that theory out.

No solar roof sorry.
A8 parts are saying climate unit. As the only thing that runs the heater fan is that. Did ask if there was away of narrowing this down, before i buy one. Seems not.
So has anyone got, or done a guide, how to get one out of a facelift D2?
Any tools needed, that wouldnt be in a normal tool box?.

Is it a hard job to do? Steve's away, so will do it in his unit. Dry in there LOL

Mel
Old 30th April 2012, 04:30 PM

You need some torx bits, and you'd need to pop the stereo/RNS unit out first, but shouldn't be too hard.

You need to pop off the side panels on the centre console and there are screws to remove in order to release the panel. I'm not sure if Audipages has a guide, but there was a thread on tyresmoke.

I know.. I know..

Old 13th December 2012, 11:00 AM

time to fix this now it cold LOL. Can anyone give me a link or post/email me a diagram or guild, of how to to take this A/C/ heater out? All i seem to find is PF, and mines a FL. Already took the 2 side panels off, and can see a torx screw, Nr front on either side of unit. So take them out, and it just slides out?
is that all it is to take out?

Thanks from a Cold A8 owner LOL

p.s yer i know should of done this in the summer, just dont have the time in summer. Work drops off in winter, so now got the time.