A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 15th July 2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
They're out!

Meanwhile, spot the missing part...
Attachment 6384

I tell you what, trying to relocate a wheel and disc with no calliper in place ain't easy in this heat....

Thanks gents.

Zip
Whoo, well done mate and done in time for feeding time.

Missing part hmmm well........ wheel centre cap and wheel cleaner

Do you not have the plastic wheel centring doodar tool in the boot? makes lining up the disc / hub and getting the wheel on a breeze

can be found on ebay and you can even get ally ones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	centre.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	6385  

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 15th July 2013, 04:26 PM

Ah yes - forgot about that plastic widget. More trouble than they're worth most of the time.

Yep - managed to get them boxed and off to Nottingham for refurb next day delivery this afternoon as well. Not too much brake fluid and dust on the drive (don't tell the wife...)

I've had 4 years of "black chrome with a healthy layer of brake dust". Thinking of going back to diamond cut with some alloygators for protection....love the original finish, but know how impractical they are.

Oh well.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 16th July 2013, 03:45 PM

Murrays are good, aren't they? I got Meyle HD rear discs and Bosch pads for mine from Murrays recently - is that what they've supplied you too?

Any luck with braided hoses?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 16th July 2013, 06:36 PM

Yep - same stuff as you from Murrays, and Bosch front pads as well. Got brembo pads at the moment.
Nice bloke. Was pleased to hear I was running a "proper engine" and not one of these "sooty monstrosities"...

Haven't pursued braided hoses yet...not had a chance.

Z

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 16th July 2013, 06:52 PM

I picked up a set of braided hoses from Earls.
Seemed good quality and had plenty of different finishes but stupidly never got round to fitting them and sold them on to someone on here.

Will now have to buy some more when I finally get the front brakes changed.

THE WHALE IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER... errr but leaking again
Old 17th July 2013, 08:41 AM

Seen this place recommended on AudiSRS site which might be worth a look

http://www.hosetechnik.com/index.asp

If you want brakes that look to have stainless steel hoses they offer a clear PVC cover option, or you can go for whatever colour you like

They list early S8 but for a late one with Brembos will probably need some measurements from your existing pipes

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 31st July 2013, 11:52 AM

Cool Pretty. huh?

They've stuck one of the brembo decals on a bit wonky, but not sure it'll notice once it's on.

Downside is I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before fitting them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130730-00102.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	6439  

Old 22nd August 2013, 09:11 PM

Mmmmm shiny.
Old 26th August 2013, 09:58 PM

What was the cost for the refurb? Did they change the pistons,seals and that funky little plate that is screwed on(the one from my recollection fu*** everything thing up due to corrotion from road salt and so on)

1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 27th August 2013, 10:06 AM

Thumbs up

There are options, but I went for the whole lot:

strip, clean, regrease, remove corrosion, reassemble: £144
all new seals, rubbers, blead nipple etc: £39
paint (with 2 year warranty): £115
Brembo decals (high temp vinyl): £15

5 year warranty on caliper function apparently - pretty good.
Not cheap overall, but a helluva lot cheaper than 2 new calipers, and look prettier (IMHO).

They removed the 4 plates you mention (with heat), then grinded out the corrosion so that they lat flat again, painted, straightened the plates, and re fixed. Didn't need new plates (they're stainless).

I'll post photos (fitted) later...car feels great