A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th February 2014, 04:20 PM

Default S8 (D2) Control Arm Supension Kits - Experiences?

Per title, any experience with after markets front control arm kits as suspect VAG will be more than car is worth !
Old 20th February 2014, 04:40 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Yes, I replaced all of mine with an after market kit. And I know I'm not alone. There's a thread on here somewhere, but I'll try to dig out the make and supplier at the weekend
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 20th February 2014, 04:44 PM

Ill have a search thanks. Assume yours are still all good after X miles ? I have read the ebay ones can last a year at best..
Old 20th February 2014, 05:23 PM

My Lemforder arms (front n/s and o/s upper front and rear control arms - that's two per side at the top) were £54 and £38 each - £92 per side/£184 all in - provided from TPS to my independent fitter. Fitted 10 months ago and still tight. Most will swear by Lemforder or equivalent OEM but some will say, go cheap as you may not need the long life. Horses for courses.
Old 20th February 2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks David, was that with 20s on an FE as i know both lower arms are different from factory as is the wheel bearing housing for cars running 20s ex factory, which is going to make them more expensive i fear, groan..

EDIT i just re-read and see you replaced uppers only
Old 20th February 2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post
Thanks David, was that with 20s on an FE as i know both lower arms are different from factory as is the wheel bearing housing for cars running 20s ex factory, which is going to make them more expensive i fear, groan..

EDIT i just re-read and see you replaced uppers only
Yes, uppers only and it was on 18".
Old 20th February 2014, 05:54 PM

If you're planning on keeping the car don't buy the cheap sh1te because you'll be changing them within 2 years.

Lemforder or Meyle HD are probably the way to go.

THE WHALE IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER... errr but leaking again
Old 21st February 2014, 08:28 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Mine were Meyle from ebay, and I bought a full kit. But despite telling them car details, 2 of the arms were still the wrong type and had to be returned. had them on about 6 months and all seems OK so far.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 21st February 2014, 08:53 AM

Haven't replaced these arms on an A8, but have on my B5.5 Passat. Used Lemforder parts, and best price I found was from CarParts4less. The arms were excellent quality, and appeared to have VW Audi logo's ground off.
Old 21st February 2014, 09:21 AM

I used the cheap ones from german e-bay about £120 for a set, after about 4 years and 14k miles shock absorber bush started looking poor, still passed MOT without advisories but I decided to change lower straight arms anyway this time with Meyle HD, about £75 for the pair. Rest of the arms and bushes are still fine. The shock absorber bush did have hard life with 19" and 20" wheels and high tyre pressures of 42-44 PSI and I do not slow down much for speed bumps or pothole's so I cannot complain much

Dezzy have had 2 sets of cheap e-bay arms each lasting 40k miles with 18" wheels.

I have fitted fair amount of cheap e-bay sets to A4's and A6's, the arms seem to last well but with track rod ends from the set there is 50:50 chance they will fail after 10k miles or so.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure