A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 26th March 2013, 05:17 PM

If you find that the lens has a hair-line crack an alternative to replacing a headlight due to minor crack is applying Lamin-X...

http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/

This product is used extensively in SA by the modding crowd and has been
succesful in preventing condensation due to minor cracks in headlight lenses.

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:12 PM

one of the easiest ways to clear condensation I'd say is to put towel over the headlight and leave the lights on, that way the of the bulb stays inside the headlight and will dry out it, but you cant leave the towel and walk away, if you leave it too long it will melt inside the headlight glass, so every few minutes check it and you wont need to take apart headlight in any way.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:53 PM

I used to have a tiny bit in my headlights now and again, so grabbed a couple of these big dessicant sachets from a new iMac box at work and put one in each headlight inside the plastic cover.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-g-Sili...-/321090787338

I had some in the foglights after changing the bulbs and after 3 months it hadn't gone so washed them out with alcohol and put them in a low oven for 15 mins. I noticed the rear cover gaskets were a rather dusty and dry due to caked on soil, so cleaned them up and put a feint smear of silicone spray on the gasket seal with a cotton bud. Maybe your headlights have this problem with moisture wicking past the seals of the covers?

After all that, now I have both nearside tail lights steamed up.
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:20 AM

Seems to have dried itself out after a few days of dry weather here in Essex. Until next time!...
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8