A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 30th September 2013, 07:16 PM

Default Indicator failure

My near side rear indicator PCB has decided to give up the ghost, I noticed the other day when I was checking the lights with vcds that quite a few leds were not working.

But after having the car cleaned the unit has moisture inside and now does not work at all.

In others experiences is the unit repairable?

If its not I'm going to be without a rear indicator for about 10 days till the Facelift lights arrive that I ordered today.

Didn't see the point of buying another old style light when I can sell off the other 3 working modules to get some of the cash back.
Old 5th October 2013, 06:57 PM

Default New lights fitted, have a question

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could grab a snap or tell me how their facelift taillights light up on a 2008> D3

You can see from the attached image that on a preface lift with the newer lights that the segment between indicator and reverse does nothing, is this the same on facelift cars or because the wiring is different on the older models.
Old 5th October 2013, 07:47 PM

I don't have these lights, but I know that you have to run another wire from the outer's loom to inner to make the inner indicators flash. It was in a retrofit guide on a US A8 forum. One of the things that put me off sourcing some as an upgrade (and the cost).
Old 5th October 2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I don't have these lights, but I know that you have to run another wire from the outer's loom to inner to make the inner indicators flash. It was in a retrofit guide on a US A8 forum. One of the things that put me off sourcing some as an upgrade (and the cost).
Nice of Audi to say so, there was no instructions what so ever, just a box with four light units.

I'll have a look on elsa to see the wiring locations hopefully.
Old 6th October 2013, 09:41 AM

You were indeed correct Snapdragon, the wiring harness to the boot lid lights has an extra wire that is tapped into the harness close to the control unit on the right hand side.

I will order the contacts for the plugs and some wire next week.
Old 10th October 2013, 01:17 PM

Default Bloody cars

After looking through elsa and thinking that running the extra wire to each lamp as I understood the drawings the section of light in the rear lid mentioned above still does not light up.

Has anyone seen that section working on a genuine facelift car?

I can't see that I am missing anything?
Old 10th October 2013, 02:02 PM

Does it need an earth connection too?

I know.. I know..

Old 10th October 2013, 02:38 PM

As far as I can tell it's earthed through a common connection in the lamp harness, but looking at Elsa the extra wiring only applies to American market.

Their lights must be different I guess

Will only be able to confirm if that section actually works if someone with a face lift car checks how they work.
Old 10th October 2013, 02:54 PM

I'd run a direct supply to it (12v?) and test it independently before putting any wiring in the car.
Remember LED's are polarity-sensitive too.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th October 2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'd run a direct supply to it (12v?) and test it independently before putting any wiring in the car.
Remember LED's are polarity-sensitive too.
Well in hindsight I would have done that, but being as the lights were fitted and working in the car prior to noticing the blank section I assumed that the earths etc are all good.

With the lights in the Boot lid I'm not going to the hassle of pulling them out again, until I get it confirmed that section actually does something.

It could well be that it doesn't have any led's in that bit.

Will have to wait and see, if no one on here has a facelift car then there will surely be some at adi